Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #11
Ajlind5
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I just want to do formula.

Advertisement

Last edited by Ajlind5; 03-14-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Ajlind5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #12
Ajlind5
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Last edited by Ajlind5; 03-14-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Ajlind5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #13
Terra76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

In your situation mama, Honestly, I think i would give Formula during the day while at work, go off the meds and offer the breast in the evenings. I agree with others who say it does not need to be all or nothing.

I would not try and replace milk nutrition with solids until over a year. Milk, breast or formula should be your babies prime source of nutrition for the first year of life.
Terra76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #14
laur318
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra76 View Post
In your situation mama, Honestly, I think i would give Formula during the day while at work, go off the meds and offer the breast in the evenings. I agree with others who say it does not need to be all or nothing.
such a good answer! you can wean off the meds slowly, keep your supply up for the evening/morning feeds, and introduce the formula for day. this way you can leave your pump at home and just use it before and after work.

will you be starting any solids soon? no rush, but you can make this transition a whole lot easier on yourself if you see him eating something, even if once a day he has a few spoons full of a veggie.
Motherhood is the most important profession in the world.
laur318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #15
Mellybelly81
Registered Users

I agree wholeheartedly that it doesn't have to be all or nothing (I used to think it did). I simply assumed I would breastfeed for at least a year, but when I was a WOHM, we had to start supplementing with formula for DS around 9 months. I never counted on not being able to pump enough (not sure whether that was due to a changing milk supply or my surprise pregnancy!) and extra pumping sessions would have pushed me over the edge...I was facing an extremely stressful work situation at the time and was also stressed out about spending enough time with DS and DH when I was getting home late from work all the time. At first, I was very disappointed about having to supplement, but DS didn't care at all and we continued to BF whenever I was home and then he self-weaned shortly after he turned 1. He is a completely happy and very healthy 2-year-old today. I am seriously in awe of your commitment to breastfeeding!!! I think you have done an amazing job providing your LO with breast milk for so long. As committed as I was to BFing, I truly don't know if I could have done what you have done. Please don't feel guilty or upset about supplementing with formula...the most important thing is for for you to be a happy and well-rested mama for your DS! Wishing you all the best w/TTC, and hoping you are able to still nurse part-time if that's what you're wanting.
Mellybelly81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #16
Kaylie
Registered Users
seller

Noone knows what is best for your child besides you. 7 months of EBF is amazing, and much longer than what most moms can do! I dont think you are being selfish at all. I know I, and Im sure alot of other mamas out there have thought about how nice it would be to have a little bit more freedom than we do while BF. Obviously breast is best, but you have given him 7 months of it, and even if you started to supplement there is nothing wrong with that. Its what you feel comfortable with. Formula is not going to hurt your baby. Good luck TTC
Kaylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #17
Junebugmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hi mama! I agree with others who have said you have done an awesome job providing your sweet boy with 7mos of mom-made nourishment!

Just want to reiterate that breastmilk or formula should be the primary source of nutrition until your LO is at least 12mos. If you're going to cut down on the amount of BM you're giving him, you should really replace it with formula for the time being. That said, only you can decide what's best for your family in regards to BF/pumping vs. TTC....good luck!
Old 02-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #18
goddesskristina
Registered Users

Little bit different view. If it takes time ttc which we all know it can will you regret weaning your child that is already here for the hope of another? I am working and pumping for my 9 month old although I have never had to take any medications to keep my supply up. When I got pg with this little guy I went in to serious mourning over the fact that I knew from previous experience I would lose my milk for his big brother.
goddesskristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:14 AM   #19
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do keep in mind that if you are doing formula, you'll exchange your pump washing for bottle washing, so you'll still be spending your time washing something.

I pumped at work for my DS until his 1st birthday, and it was so liberating to be free of the pump. I completely understand, mama! What did help me was that he got some solids during the day (only once a day at 7 months), and I left an "emergency can" of formula at daycare. I think he only got the formula one time, but knowing he had a backup made me feel less stressed about pumping.

If it were me, I'd stop the meds and see if I could keep pumping a little longer without them. If it doesn't work, you can do formula during the day and nurse at home. My DS (almost 17 months old) still nurses before bed and sometimes when he wakes up, but h doesn't nurse during the day, and I haven't pumped in 5 months (except once due to a plugged duct). It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

Even if you do continue nursing, your AF will probably come back in another 6-7 months (or less). If you nurse part-time, it may come back faster.

No matter what, 7 months EBF is great! GL with everything.

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #20
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I work full time and pump at work too. It is a struggle and a sacrifice, and isn't fun on the best of days. I have a pretty good supply most of the time, but struggle the week of AF every month. If not for my freezer stash, I would have to supplement every month at AF time. We will have made it to a year in 11 days, and I am so relieved! I pump only twice a day (once before leaving for work and once at lunch), and if I had to do much more than that I am not sure I would be willing/able to sustain it either.

It is awesome that you have made it this far without having to supplement, especially with the lengths you have to go to!! Don't think of it as an all or nothing thing. Giving BM as much as you can and supplementing beyond that with formula is a wonderful thing as well. In your situation, I would probably cut out the domperidone and cut back to pumping only twice a day just to keep your milk flowing. Don't get up at night, don't medicate yourself, don't worry about having enough to fulfill 100% of his demands anymore. It will help your sanity so much and your son will still get BM everyday.

ETA: Also, I have 6 pairs of horns, about 50 membranes and I buy the Medela bags that screw onto my horns. I put all my horns in the dishwasher and the yellow valve caps too. I only wash membranes by hand about once a week. It is soooo worth the investment!!

Last edited by juliasmom; 02-04-2011 at 11:09 AM.
juliasmom is offline   Reply With Quote