Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #21
cbreeding
Registered Users

Re: I just want to do formula.

Honestly, you need to do what is best for your LO and yourself. 7 months is awesome, you are a wonderful mama to your LO regardless of how you choose to feed.

Now if this was me personally, I would continue to BF until 1yr because of the following:

Breastmilk or formula should be the main source of nutrition for the 1st yr and I'm to cheap to buy formula when I am able to meet my LO's needs with my breastmilk alone.

I believe it is good to let your body have a full year to recover from childbirth. Nothing scientific just my personal belief. So I wouldn't TTC before a year so I would continue to breastfeed until at least a year.

Not all kids tolerate all formula brands, and I would not want to deal with the potential hassle knowing that my LO is already thriving on my breastmilk.

Decisions like this can be gut-wrenching, but I hope you find peace about whatever decision you make.

Advertisement

cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #22
Noymira
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra76 View Post
In your situation mama, Honestly, I think i would give Formula during the day while at work, go off the meds and offer the breast in the evenings. I agree with others who say it does not need to be all or nothing.

I would not try and replace milk nutrition with solids until over a year. Milk, breast or formula should be your babies prime source of nutrition for the first year of life.

I pumped at work until DD was 1 year (I went back FT at 12 wks), then she got formula during the day at daycare (we then weaned off formula completely by 14 mos) and nursed evenings/weekends. Pumping is hard work, congrats for making it as far as you have!
Noymira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #23
DWA
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hugs, mama.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing a combination of formula and breastfeeding. You have made it so far and just know that every ounce he gets is beneficial...it doesn't have to be all or nothing. You've done a great job and he is going to be fine no matter what you decide so do what is right for you!
My son gets one feeding a day of formula (I work 4 hours/day and hate pumping at work) and the rest breastmilk and he has done just fine! I know some people find anything less then EBF unacceptable, but I really don't care what people think. It works for us and makes breastfeeding manageable.
If I felt like it was all or nothing it would probably be nothing (not because of the pumping, just because it is REALLY hard for me for many reasons) and so I think that whatever you can give is wonderful!
Old 02-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #24
Ajlind5
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you SO MUCH for all the support and words of advice, mommas. I have decided to wean off of the domperidone, for the most part just because it is a drug and I'm sick of having to take a drug to breastfeed. I figure if my body can't make enough on its own, then I have an alternative.
Like some of you have said, I need to get over the thoughts in my head that anything less than EBF is unacceptable. I have been so proud of what I am doing, and am starting to think that this is getting in the way of my (and indirectly, my family's) happiness and well-being. Hope that makes sense...

I talked to the hubby about my decision, and he is fully supportive. Right now, it's not even about the wanting another baby-- it's about the whole journey we are taking in breastfeeding! This has been SUCH a long and hard road, and I am ready to enjoy things a bit more! I will continue to try my darndest to EBF, but I am at peace with the idea of maybe having to supplement.
I think I had a breakthrough!! LOL
Ajlind5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #25
Lovely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would do whatever you feel is best. No judging from me, my first two were completely FF.

I just have to say though, you sound exhausted right now with everything you have going on. Another baby right now, with your first being so young still, is going to cause much more exhaustion
Old 02-08-2011, 07:08 AM   #26
Ajlind5
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Last edited by Ajlind5; 03-14-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:23 AM   #27
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Honestly, in your situation, you sound like all the pumping is making you miserable and exhausted. PLUS you want to TTC. I'd probably wean myself from the medication first, and then probably stop pumpiing altogether at work if my supply tanked. You can always give formula while you're at work and nurse your baby when you're home- it doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing. Don't beat yourself up about it.

Also, if you do get pregnant, most women lose their milk supply within the first few months. Not all, but most. GL with whatever you decide!
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #28
Ajlind5
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

~Amanda~ Wife to 'JPR' and Mommy to DS1 :wave2: born 7.1.10,DS2 born 1.4.12 and with #3, due in December!

Last edited by Ajlind5; 03-14-2012 at 12:50 PM.