Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
koden1977
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Why is my ebf baby's poop green?

My little guy is 2 1/2 weeks old, and I've yet to see the mustard seedy poop! It's always green!! He's also gassy...not upset gassy, just a lot of tooting. Could it be a dairy allergy?? Also, I had quite a hard time nursing on my left side as the nip is bigger and he had a very hard time latching on. The supply on that side is much lower too. It seems like he does more "chewing" than swallowing on that side. What can I do?? Could it be he's not getting enough hind milk? I'm getting frustrated!!! Could a different position help??

HELP!!!!!

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
bpirof
Registered Users
seller

It sounds like you have an oversupply, when this happens your lo fills up on the foremilk and doesn't get to the thicker hind milk that comes after, there are a lot of great ways to help like block feeding, but what worked for menus I would pump about and ounce before feeding lo.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
bpirof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
bpirof
Registered Users
seller

Is there a lactation consultant nearby that you could get advice from? They are really great!

Old 10-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
koden1977
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why is my ebf baby's poop green?

Yes there is . I'm thinking it's a dairy allergy
Old 10-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
bpirof
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by koden1977
Yes there is . I'm thinking it's a dairy allergy
It's possible, but I've never heard of dairy causing green poo? Just blood in poop, a friend of mine had that issue :-(

Old 10-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Green poop is fine if baby is otherwise happy and gaining well. My DD had green poop for what felt like forever...and she was an incredibly fat baby so I know she was getting enough fatty milk Dr. Jack Newman just posted about this on FB. I'm on my phone so can't link, but I'll paste it:

I was just asked by email to post about green bowel movements (stools, poops). My usual response to mothers is along following the following lines:"Is the baby usually content? Is the baby drinking well from the breast (see the videos at our website that show babies drinking well from the breast or not)? Is the baby gaining weight well? If the answer to all these questions is "yes" then don't worry about the colour of the poops, don't go on any special diets, don't feed the baby on just one breast at a feeding. Feed the baby normally, that is "Finish one side and offer the second side". If the baby doesn't want the second breast, fine. But offer it. Do not do "block feeding"."*Note that keeping the baby on just one breast is not the answer. If the baby is not actually drinking at the breast, he is not getting hindmilk. I wish we had never heard of hindmilk. True, milk increases in fat as the baby continues to get milk from the breast (but not if he's sucking without drinking). Usually the notion of hindmilk causes confusion and results in mothers getting advice that doesn't make sense.I am often tempted to say also, "put on sunglasses, so you don't see the colour of the bowel movements", but I don't.If the baby is not usually content, if the baby is not drinking well, if the baby is not gaining weight well, then the problem is not the colour of the bowel movements.What causes the bowel movements to be green? Rapid transit through the baby's gut. That's all!

ETA: About the gassiness, babies fart a lot If he is not upset, no issue.

Last edited by Teexie; 10-29-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
koden1977
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's the update. I took him for a weight check and he's down 2 ounces soo...I called a lactation consultant and we have a plan. Feed every 3 hours, followed by 10 minutes of pumping. I've got to boost my supply, and he's got to eat more!!! I'm exhausted...
Old 10-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi Kristy. DS3 had green poop until he was 5 months old. We did block feed because of my crazy oversupply but it never did change the color of his stools. My 5 week old nursling twins have never had a bit of green poop?? I can highly recommend Jane and Annie at Centennial Women's Hospital as the greatest lactation consultants in Nashville. I've used them by phone and in person 3 times and all of my closest friends have seen them also. I always nurse my babies under 3 months every 2.5-3 hours and whenever I have had a supply concern I take up to 8 fenugreek a day and pump 10-15 minutes after at least 3 feedings a day. It has been very successful for me. Best wishes Kristy!
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
Rose36
Registered Users

my daughter's switches between mustard yellow and weird creamy to like a green reverse exorcist.
Rose36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:58 PM   #10
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm going to say yes, eliminate dairy. If he's allergic or sensitive to something you are eating, not only does that yield frequent and yucky poop, but can also slow down weight gain. Cut out the problem food and you will see beautiful poops and better weight gain.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote