Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
sizzlemom
Registered Users
seller

Will my supply come back?

My LO is just over 7 months old now and has been almost exclusively breastfed (very little formula). Granted we started solids about 6 weeks ago and everything has been good.

Then...he got sick and so did I! I had the flu and strep throat (got put on augmentin sp?) and he got croup and a double ear infection. Since I got sick, my supply has really dropped. I was pumping (at work) about 6 oz per feeding...now about 4 oz. Yesterday was my last day of the augmentin so I was hoping that my supply dip had everything to do with that. But, today it is the same?? Am I expecting too much too soon?

Through all of this my LO has not been nursing well either. I have been pumping off quite a bit and trying to get him to drink from the bottle. His fluids are steadily increasing so I am starting to get behind him and having to defrost from the freezer.

Nothing else has changed...water level is still almost 100 oz / day and nothing in my diet has changed.

Help!!

Advertisement

sizzlemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Binah Birth
Registered Users
Formerly: Sew Cute Creations
seller

My Mood:
Re: Will my supply come back?

The only way to rebound is to nurse more - your body has had less stim than usual, but it's fixable! Have you tried nursing him sitting up...may be easier on the ears.

Also, 4 oz is still a really good output for a pump session.....I never did more than 3-4 unless I was in my time of overproduction.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
sizzlemom
Registered Users
seller

With DS1 - I would have been thrilled with 4 oz!!! I guess it is all relative right?

My DH went and got me some supplements that have fenugreek (sp?) and some other things to help stimulate the supply. I figured I would take one bottle and see what happens.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
melilo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry too much. The more you nurse, the more your supply will bounce back.

I recently had to dip into my freezer stash last week due to everyone having a cold. He nursed fine, but I wasn't pumping enough for him to have while I was at work. If we'd been together the whole time, I wouldn't have had to do that.

Rubber City Doula You Deserve A Doula!
DONA Trained Birth Doula
melilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
jennobe29
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my supply dropped, I nursed more and it helped.
jennobe29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
seller
seller

We just went through the same problem here Get yourself rehydrated and offer to nurse your LO frequently. Some helpful mamas also told me that eating oatmeal helps with your supply.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry too much about this minor dip. I doubt it's permanent! You've just been very sick, all your sinuses are irritated (and milk ducts are sinuses), so if you were on any drugs that dry out sinuses, it also dried up your milk sinuses a bit. Plus, baby was sick and probably didn't really want to eat much, so your body responded to his demands and slowed down on milk production. Once you both get better and back to normal, you'll be fine. I wouldn't add any more water, you'll float away LOL!
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:20 AM   #8
sizzlemom
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies! I am not ready to throw in the towel yet. We have made it this far I would like to continue! He still isnt nursing much (or drinking from the bottle much either) so I am hoping it is just teeth???? I had the doc check out his ears and they are clear so hopefully this is just a phase! The pump will have to continue to be my friend until we go back to normal!!