Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Paranoia or rational precaution?

I have been thinking about getting an SNS.

I had to FF for the first week with DS. He was 37w, and jaundiced. My milk didn't come in for what seemed like forever (7 or 8 days or more if I remember, I feel like blaming the IV). My milk is gone now, and DS (almost 2) has weaned, so I am a little concerned I will have the same rough start. Luckily, this time around *I* won't be learning how to BF. Just the baby But DS and I had a major learning curve because of the bottles. You could feel his confusion when he tried to nurse.

So... should I buy an SNS now? Or just have Medela on speed dial for after LO comes?

I really don't want to waste any time. The more we screwed around delaying and continuing giving formula, the worse his latch would get. I'm not doing that again.

ETA: DS never did learn to nurse "right" he got milk, and it didn't hurt me, so whatever, but LCs always wanted to 'make it better' He doesn't flare his upper lip, and one of his cheeks caves in (his right I think) also, I added a pic of him, 2 days old. Orange like a pumpkin.

Advertisement

Last edited by Kriket; 02-03-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Kriket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
Ehlane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Paranoia or rational precaution?

I'm by no means an expert, but I'd say if you have the money and if it will give you peace of mind, go ahead and order it. Those first few days/weeks with a newborn are so hectic anyway, you probably want to have as many things in place as possible.

Might want to check with your hospital too. I know our hospital sent us home with an SNS and we didn't have to buy one... Hope you end up not needing it, mama!
Old 02-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't really have the money. They are like $50!!
I do have a grandma who is in love with buying her great-grand babies things, and if I asked, she would get it, but I hate asking, KWIM?

I may ask my MW if that's something our hospital can do for me! (They were DYING to give DS formula, maybe I can say, "Sure, hand me that formula.... and an SNS"
Old 02-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
twolittlebeans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I see you are due in July? Maybe its something you can put on your list of things to save up for or ask for if someone asks you what your needs are. I've had so much difficulty in the past with nursing that this time around I've decided to buy everything I could possibly need in advance to have on hand so I'm not running to the store like a crazy person everytime I need a shield or cooling gel pads or whatever! I do think there is something to be said for having what you need on hand during those pp days!
Old 02-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Riverleaf1772
Registered Users
seller

Can you use a used sns? Cause I have one and I could sell it for $25 maybe?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
momtomy3
Registered Users
Formerly: karismom
seller
seller

Hospitals will usually give them to you (well, charge insurance). For them, anything to help breastfeeding is better in the long-run. I wouldn't use it until you need it, but having it is good. I will have one before this babe comes along.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
Binah Birth
Registered Users
Formerly: Sew Cute Creations
seller

My Mood:

I don't think you need one. Every baby and every baby-mama pairing is different. My son was born at 37-5 (by 1 hour, would have been 37-4), was COOMBS+ and turned jaundice within 12-18 hours and stayed that way for 2 months. He never flared his upper lip (I think he had a slightly tight frenulum), either. He had horrible reflux that lasted until last week (1 week shy of 17 months). What I'm saying is - I feel your pain. The LC in the hospital is the one who had me use a small amount of formula to calm DS down enough to nurse. And we nursed right until I dried up when he was 13 mon and I was 9 weeks pregnant with his (soon to be arriving) sister.

I think your plan should be to find lactation support that you are comfortable with (doesn't sound like you were too pleased with the ones you had). A good support system is really worth so much more than an SNS. Also, if you have to supplement this time, you could always finger feed, dropper feed, spoon feed, or cup feed instead of a bottle if that is what scares you.

GL in your decision!! we're here for you!
Old 02-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
tamesis
Registered Users
seller

As a Mama who recently struggled like crazy at the start, and had the same question as you before DD was born, I would buy it. We ended up having to supplement with formula/pumped BM for the first week, and it was so time consuming and exhausting. I had to fight with a nurse in the hospital to supplement at the breast, and if I had an SNS with me, that wouldn't have happened. We ended up using a homeade SNS, and it made such a mess, was so hard to manage, and wasted so much precious pumped BM, so we switched to syringe feeding. This was so time consuming, when you add in pumping and breastfeeding. I stopped supplementing after two weeks and just kept her on the breast almost constantly ton increase my supply, but had the docs had their way, she would have been on formula full time at that point because she was gaining slowly. If i were you, I would hope for the best (A great BF relationship off the bat), but expect the worst (Having to supplement again) so that you can be prepared.

Last edited by tamesis; 02-05-2011 at 02:17 PM.
tamesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would very much use a used SNS. I'll PM you It takes me a couple days to 'requisition' money, but it will happen

Sew Cute, you actually pushed me that last little I needed We tried spoon feeding with DS, I tried to express something into a spoon.... I think I got enough to coat the spoon It was such a hassle, and none of the alternate methods gave the breast stimulation.

Also, I forgot to mention, I have hormonal issues, that *may* contribute. It took 12m to conceive DS, but only 2 or 3 for this one. lol. But I have PCOS, and it does wonderful things to my hormonal system, especially when I am heavy, which sadly, I am right now.
(and will probably be after the birth )
Old 02-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #10
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If the SNS will give you peace of mind, I say go for it.

Just as encouragement, though, I had a rough start w/DS (I wound up in the ER the day we went home from the hospital/told not to BF/was in a lot of pain b/c my stitches came loose/I had to come in daily for weight checks on DS and they really pushed formula on me/had to take Reglan and then Fenugreek all the time/I was never confident that he was getting enough). BUT with DD I have a great supply, plus I had a better idea what I was doing and didn't let anyone freak me out that I was starving my baby. I read that your body develops more milk ducts with subsequent pregnancies.

Good luck!
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote