Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #11
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Paranoia or rational precaution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskamum View Post
with DD I have a great supply, plus I had a better idea what I was doing and didn't let anyone freak me out that I was starving my baby. I read that your body develops more milk ducts with subsequent pregnancies.

Good luck!
For sure! I have done the BF dance (for almost 2 years!) so it is going to take a lot for a nurse to unnerve me.
And I was wondering what was going on in my boobies! DS weaned (I think he didn't like the taste? It was strange) so I noticed they got a little smaller, just in time to get HUGE!! DH even commented he thought my nipples were getting even bigger! It was a running joke with DS (I had inverted nips prior to pregnancy) now I'm concerned if I have any more kids of what will happen to them!

Also, Riverleaf, thank you for the offer, but I think I am going to look for a syringe style SNS, I was looking and talking with other mamas and evidently I'm not alone in this worry! and they make little SNSes especially for colostrum? I'm going to check that out, call WIC to see if there is anything they have I can borrow, and go from there!

Thanks ladies!

Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

Re: Paranoia or rational precaution?

I supplemented with a lactation aid for 4 months (very low supply) and actually hated the SNS. I found it finicky and a pain to wash and had much better luck with a homemade one. I used the medela bottles that came with my pump (we bought extra too) and the lactation consultants gave me No. 5 French Feeding Tubes. I stuck the bottle in the pocket of my "my breast friend" pillow, or in my bra, stuck the feeding tube through a screw on cap they gave me (a nipple with enlarged hole will do as well), and once DS latched, I stuck the tube in through the corner of his mouth.

I took me a couple weeks to get good at it, but it was much easier than taping the tube to my breast (I'm allergic to adhesive so doing that was quite painful.) The tubes last for about a week, can be cleaned with a syringe, and only cost $1. The hospital can probably give you a stash for free (charge your insurance).

ETA: I went to see Dr. Jack Newman a few times - he taught me the tube trick to avoid tape. He also set me up with more feeding tubes. Here is a video demonstrating the technique. http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...lips&Itemid=13

Last edited by Layney82; 02-08-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Layney82 is offline   Reply With Quote