Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
nalazimbala
Registered Users
seller

How much clothing does one child NEED?

I know it's been talked about on here before, but while going through our closets, I want to try (again) to do better about not buying so many clothes for the kiddos. It's not even that we are spending a lot of money on their clothes...almost all of them come from yard sales, thrift stores or consignment sales. But in part because they are so cheap, we end up with way more than any one child needs, kwim?

So, now I'm determined to have thinner closets for this summer...how many outfits do I NEED for each? DD is 3.5 and DS is 15m. We go to church, so I will need dresses for DD but that's about the only time she wears dresses. DD is also about to start dance classes and soccer (but the soccer dues include her uniform and tshirt for practices). I have to have play clothes and outing clothes b/c if they wore things in public that they wear at home, they would always look dirty. Also how many shoes is normal? At one point I counted last year and DD had 15 pairs of shoes that all fit...yes, I know that's ridiculous.

I really want to make a list and do my best to stick to it without adding to their wardrobe all summer long! It's just so hard when you see cute clothes for $0.50!! I really have a problem but at least I'm not out a lot of money (just time doing laundry and space in my house)

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: How much clothing does one child NEED?

Short answer is enough to get from one laundry day to another. If you wash once a week, 7-10 outfits per season should do it. If you weren't church goers I'd say one good outfit per season should be ok, but since you're going to be putting them in it every week, 2 or three would be better for at least a little variety.

ETA since I should really read the entire post before responding....I blame the narcotics, sorry. I'd still go by how often you do laundry, and figure out how often you go out vs how much you stay home. If you're mostly home and wash once a week, I'd do 6-8 play outfits, 2-4 nicer outfits, and 2-3 church dresses. For summer I generally have 1 pair of rain boots, 1 pair of play sandals or crocs (fake if I buy them, real only if grandma buys them), and 1 pair of good sandals, and then any shoes they need for activities. I don't know if your church has a dress code, but if sandals aren't appropriate, you might want to get some good shoes too.

Last edited by Computermama; 02-03-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
neatokimmo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I aimed for 12, 10 regular, 2 church. I ended up with 12 everyday and 3 church for summer. Her winter stuff has a lot of dresses she'll wear to school or church and I'm up to 16 outfits. Oops.

And I agree it is HARD to pass up cute clothes at yard sales.
neatokimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We also have tons of clothes but I have been getting good about weeding through. We have 3 boys who get tons of clothes as gifts from both sides of family and get perfect and $$$ hand me downs from my nephew. The only thing I need to buy is sometimes pj's(although we are overflowing atm), socks, underwear and shoes.

The one thing I will spend decent $$ on is shoes esp for when they are younger. Older boys got a pair of sketchers each for school and snow boots so two pairs each.

LO, 19 months, usually has one pair or two that fits per season. So right now he ONLY has a pair of boots (soft star fur boots), I have another pair of shoes on the way as it begins to warm up and boots will be too hot.

For summer I will this year get them all keens and if they need a pair of flip flops(think last years would fit as they are EUC).

Honestly, I would just weed through anything you don't LOVE.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:13 AM   #5
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have the same prob op! I buy too much, at yardsale or consignment ( & have a week spot for gymboree lol!) but so much that dd doest even wear everything. We moved from tx last year and there it was "summer" 9-10 months of the year so it was ok to have a lot... But here, true summer temps only last 4 months max, but I so love summer clothing.

I was thinking 4 dresses for church, 2 skirts ( to wear everyday or as an alternative to dresses since they allow variety for church) 10 short sleeve/sleeveless shirts, 5 pairs shorts/capris. Play clothing I typically build from regular clothing that gets lightly stained, but I do pick up some $3 cotton shorts from Walmart or target if I havnt found some at yardsales.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:24 AM   #6
cassieJJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would say 5 school outfits (meaning match aren't holy), 5 play outfits and 2 nicer outfits. Also 3 pairs of shoes tennis, dress and sandal or boots depending on season. I have a hard time remembering that just because it's a great deal doesn't mean that I need to buy anything.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:44 AM   #7
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

My kids don't need much at all. I do laundry every day, and the whole family shares one closet, and my three kids share one dresser.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:58 AM   #8
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr2410 View Post
I have the same prob op! I buy too much, at yardsale or consignment ( & have a week spot for gymboree lol!) but so much that dd doest even wear everything. We moved from tx last year and there it was "summer" 9-10 months of the year so it was ok to have a lot... But here, true summer temps only last 4 months max, but I so love summer clothing.

I was thinking 4 dresses for church, 2 skirts ( to wear everyday or as an alternative to dresses since they allow variety for church) 10 short sleeve/sleeveless shirts, 5 pairs shorts/capris. Play clothing I typically build from regular clothing that gets lightly stained, but I do pick up some $3 cotton shorts from Walmart or target if I havnt found some at yardsales.
I could have wrote that post, LOL. Totally agree with her assessment of the numbers and that you can always supplement cheap summer stuff at WM/Target. I also reuse winter clothes for spring and summer. A pair of pants or jeans that fit well may become capris for spring and later shorts for summer, for example. So I usually don't have to supplement the summer wardrobe as much as the winter/back to school one.

I don't do it by # of items though in my house. The kids share a closet, all their clothes have to fit in there. So if it's too full, I have to purge some things. I figure that is what a closet is for, to store clothes (and not a bunch of other crap I don't need or use ) so that's what I do. It's all on hangers so I can see it, know exactly how much we have or need. If you want to see how long it has been since an item is worn, turn all your hangers backwards and check back in 3/6/9/12 months. If it's still backwards, it is not being worn and needs to be purged.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
hms1221
Registered Users

My Mood:

My mother had fits when my older dd started kindergarten with 3 outfits, because she'd be wearing the same thing twice a week. So now she has 7 outfits, 3 of which she refuses to wear unless she has ABSOLUTELY nothing else (even though they're cute). School clothes are also play clothes. We do laundry daily. (I only have 2 pairs of pants for myself, which keeps me on top of things). I'd say 2-3 sets of church clothes. 1 pair of seasonal shoes (sandals or boots), 1 pair sneakers, 1 pair nice shoes. 2 jackets. 3 pairs pajamas. We haven't had enough socks in years; they wear out faster than I buy them
Old 02-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #10
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

Depends on the kid and the age. I shoot for 1 weeks worth of outfits plus a weeks worth of separates and basics like jeans and tshirts. We dont have any real winter here so a light jacket or heavy sweatshirt and a few light sweaters for layering. 2 weeks worth of socks and undies. I aim for 2 pairs of tennis for 8yo DS hes hard on shoes, 2 pairs of flip flops for him. 2 almost 3yo DD has 2 tennis(one cute one for function), 2 sandals(flip flops and cute dressy sandals) and crochet ugg type boots. DD hates socks so she only owns 3 pairs and can wear her cute tennis and boots without socks.

I dont go to yard sales or buy used. I find I overspend on things I wont realy use and end up with too much of one thing and not enough of another. Instead I buy on clearance or on sale and ask for clothes for bdays and xmas.
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote