Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
2tallmommyof2
Registered Users

A whole new world I am in!

Hello, my name is Dawn. I am a mother of 2 girls. A 3-year-old who I am going to switch from pull-ups to CD to attempt to get her potty trained at night and a 7 month old who has reactions to Pampers Drymax and seems to love CD. I have to admit, though my friend Vivid (Lovemylinares) makes it look super easy, I feel like I may have bitten off more I can chew with this whole AIO, CD, Insert, Wet soak...wet pail...cotton vs hemp....prefold diaper thing! ANY advice will be helpful. I am lost at what I should buy. I put a cotton prefold with waterproof cover on littlest one and she leaked through twice. Then friend told me to try a receiving blanket and open snaps and she hasnt leaked through again....but it looks SO thick I'm just not sure that is right....so like I said, any help or advice would be great. Also, it is SO hard for me to think of paying for ONE diaper what I would have paid for an entire two week's supply of disposables

Advertisement

2tallmommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
Tiny Trousers
Registered Users
Formerly: Knits4Noah
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: A whole new world I am in!

Welcome! We used prefolds exclusively and loved loved loved them! I bought from Green Mountain Diapers. You have to wash a diaper 3-6 times before it becomes fully absorbent, and if you used prefolds from the store those just don't hold like higher quality ones do. PLUS because prefolds don't have elastic or snaps, they last for multiple children (our prefolds/covers/snappis from start to finish were about $300, and I even sold the covers here on DS to recover some cost).

We used different PUL and wool covers and I also knit wool covers for my son (the wool was more expensive, so I learned to knit, haha). Here are some great links that you can read through
http://www.diaperjungle.com/cloth-diaper-types.html
http://www.diaperjungle.com/cloth-di...rminology.html

And here is a post I made on my blog a long time ago that helped some of my friends
http://littlerobertson.blogspot.com/...addiction.html

Tiny Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
CarrieB
Registered Users
seller

You can also shop around for other brands that don't cost quite as much. There are also one-size diapers available that will save you from needing several sizes for your baby. If you are set on a particular brand and want to get it for less you can find good deals on used diapers on the FSOT forum.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
kbz2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

glad to have you here!
Old 02-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never been much of a prefold user. I prefer to stick with fitteds or pockets. If you check out the FSOT section, you can get used diapers for a great prices. I rarely buy diapers new anymore.

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
aLittleBouncingSoul
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hello! Glad to have you here
aLittleBouncingSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
feelinfroggie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hi there,

You can try Kawaii pockets. www theluveyourbaby .com April is a very nice lady and has some very inexpensive pocket diapers. I am not a prefold fan... I just can't get into the fold thing. But so far I like pockets and I have a couple BumGenius all in ones. I like those too except they take forever to dry! the pockets dry faster and all I have to do is stuff the insert in the pocket and we're good to go.

Good luck in your choice mama!
feelinfroggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
jandemom
Registered Users

Welcome!
jandemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
2boysmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi mama! I think the number one issue with any type of cloth diaper is the washing routine. You have to make sure you are using enough cd safe detergent, but not too much, rinsing enough, and NEVER use fabric softener because that will cause build up so your diapers will not absorb.

I have friends that use only prefolds, they double up at night even. I just can't stick to one type of diaper because I am an addict and I have to try every type, style, brand...

Anyway, this is the place to be to learn anything you need to know about cloth! Welcome, I hope we can help make the switch easy for you!

In with Jesus for over 20 years!
2boysmama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #10
CuteHippieChic
Registered Users

My Mood:

Welcome!!! =)
CuteHippieChic is offline   Reply With Quote