Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Bamboo vs. Hemp vs. Cotton

I still can't decide what to make my NB stash from, and I'm wanting to switch my son from AIO's to fitteds or prefolds and covers until we PL.

Do you find there is a big difference in fabrics? Are microfiber inserts different from hemp inserts?

And are bamboo fabrics really more absorbent then cotton?

Advertisement

Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bamboo vs. Hemp vs. Cotton

Would love to hear your favorites with absorbency!!
Old 02-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
Martina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I prefer natural fabrics.
First choice : cotton. Lasts longer, stays soft longer, dosenčt shrink as much as bamboo.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
doubleddog
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love hemp, then bamboo, then cotton.

hemp is sturdy and absorbs well. Bamboo is super soft and very absorbent, but it is hard to keep it fluffy and soft over time and it wears out quicker. Cotton is great too: affordable, easy to find, and more trim than bamboo or hemp. And it holds up fairly well over time (although not as sturdy as hemp).

The drawback to cotton is that it doesn't absorb NEARLY as much as hemp or bamboo, so if you have a super soaker you may run into absorbency issues with cotton. It's easy to add in hemp or bamboo doublers though for added absorbency if that becomes a problem or just switch out your system. I started out with cotton flats and was happy with them during the little baby phase, but we switched to hemp around 6 months because DD was soaking through her cotton ones and having pee explosions. Maybe try a few of each and see what you like best.
Babywearing, CDing SAHM. I love my DH and my 3 sweet girls, looking forward to meeting team green baby #4 April 2013.
doubleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, it seems like hemp doublers sell fast!! My DS is wearing L BG AIO's.. but he pees through them pretty fast. And he pees alot, so I know it's not because of the diaper that he is soaking through them fast. I will definitely try some hemp doublers or inserts to see how those help.

Bamboo does shrink quite a bit. And cotton is cheaper. When I'm making diapers, it's cheaper to get cotton velour vs. bamboo velour, especially after the bamboo shrinks after washing it. Since I plan to make different size diapers (NB, S, M, L) I think I would be OK with using cotton. It will stay soft, and I won't need them as long-term workhorse diapers. But I think I will try adding hemp doublers and soakers to them to make them more absorbent.

I do love how trim cotton is, though. I'm loving velour, too, but wanted a stay-dry inner (microfleece). So we'll see. Maybe I'll make a stash of many options.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKzooFamily
Yeah, it seems like hemp doublers sell fast!! My DS is wearing L BG AIO's.. but he pees through them pretty fast. And he pees alot, so I know it's not because of the diaper that he is soaking through them fast. I will definitely try some hemp doublers or inserts to see how those help.

Bamboo does shrink quite a bit. And cotton is cheaper. When I'm making diapers, it's cheaper to get cotton velour vs. bamboo velour, especially after the bamboo shrinks after washing it. Since I plan to make different size diapers (NB, S, M, L) I think I would be OK with using cotton. It will stay soft, and I won't need them as long-term workhorse diapers. But I think I will try adding hemp doublers and soakers to them to make them more absorbent.

I do love how trim cotton is, though. I'm loving velour, too, but wanted a stay-dry inner (microfleece). So we'll see. Maybe I'll make a stash of many options.
I was gonna say that!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:30 AM   #7
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I like cotton and then using hemp doublers. I do like hemp fitteds for overnight but I have read of people having odor issues with all hemp.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
aLittleBouncingSoul
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkaK View Post
I like cotton and then using hemp doublers. I do like hemp fitteds for overnight but I have read of people having odor issues with all hemp.
That's me too.
aLittleBouncingSoul is offline   Reply With Quote