Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
aclee
Registered Users

My Mood:
5 minute bread flop...help?

So I found the recipe for the Bread in 5 minutes per day. I feel like it flopped. I used the 100% whole wheat sandwhich bread, and I made it on Wednesday I think. I let it rise a little too long out the first time before putting it in the fridge...like an hour too long. Everyday when I opened the fridge it seemed like the dough was getting smaller and smaller. The recipe said it makes three 1.5 pound loaves, but that you should fill your 9X3X4 pan 1/2 full or more. Mine was way under 1/2 full, and I used almost 1/2 the dough. It didn't raise much at all. Less than doubled and I gave it an extra 10 minutes from what it said. What am I doing wrong? Was it just the extra rise time in the beginning? I was barely touching it when I was forming it into a ball and it just totally collapsed. I did use white whole wheat instead regular so maybe that is it?

Any thoughts? I want to stick with it and try again, but I want to know what I did wrong too!

Advertisement

Last edited by aclee; 02-05-2011 at 12:48 PM.
aclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 5 minute bread flop...help?

Do you know that your yeast was still active?
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:04 AM   #3
ladybuglove
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezoo View Post
Do you know that your yeast was still active?
I agree make sure your yeast wasn't old. I have made the recipe with all whole wheat flour and it came out fine.
ladybuglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
aclee
Registered Users

My Mood:

The yeast is a jar we bought less than a year ago. The initial rise went wonderfully, and it swelled up almost over the edge of my bowl. I'm wondering if because I rose it too long the yeast were just "done"? they had nothing left to give for the second rise when I took it out of the fridge?
Old 02-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

ok bumping this because i'm having the same problem, and i was wondering if you ever figured this out? i even went out and bought brand new yeast just in case that was the issue. and it rose just fine the first time, but when i tried to have it rise again to make a loaf of bread, it rose a little bit, but not enough by far. and i just tried again tonight after leaving it in the fridge overnight, and it's barely risen at all after almost 2 hours. what am i doing wrong??!? i've made bread before and usually it at least rises even if the ending result isn't perfect. i really really want this to work.

also, is it normal for there to be a really hard crust on the dough after spending a day in the fridge? it seems like it gets kind of gross, i don't know if maybe i'm storing it wrong in the fridge?
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
princessizziesmommy
Registered Users

I made this bread for the first time this past week and had the same problems. I mixed and let mine rise according to instructions and got a good rise before i put it in the fridge. I had just bought brand new yeast and it rose well in another recipe so i know my yeast is good.
My recipe for the basic bread said to use a grapefruit size ball and to not overwork it. Well it didnt rise anymore or even do an oven spring rise and turned out doughy. The next time i used more dough and let it cook longer so the crust was way to hard but inside was finally done. Next day I did same amount and let it cook a few minutes less. It looked awful and was still doughy. Ive baked bread before and did well but have no idea what i did wrong with this recipe.
princessizziesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:47 AM   #7
photocat
Registered Users

Are you making the 'Artisan Bread in 5 minutes' bread? If so, I let mine sit out once it's first risen for at least overnight, to soak the dough a bit as per WP and phytates and all that jazz. It always comes up fine when I bake it.

As far as I am aware, the second rising happens while cooking, a combo of the steam and hot temperature.

If you are using the above method, make sure you follow the instructions fairly tightly the first few times....such as the amount of stretch there should be in the dough, the resting time, pre-heated oven with steam etc.

As for there being a hard crust on the dough in the fridge after one day, no, I don't think there should be. Your dough should be covered, with just a very small space for escaping gases. In the above link, they use a plastic container with fitted lid, with a tiny hole poked in the lid.

If this is not the method you've tried, it 's worth a try, it works well for me and it's tasty.

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
2babycakes
Registered Users
seller

If you let it rise too long it will turn into gew then fall. Some times all it needs is a little water. If the dough is to tough it won't rise. No flower is the same, one day you may need more then what the recipe calls for some day less.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
aclee
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had the same problem for two batches in a row. I bought new yeast, and I think I'm going to try and get the book. I'll try once more and if that doesn't do it, I'll give up and just go back to making my bread the old way.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #10
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by photocat View Post
Are you making the 'Artisan Bread in 5 minutes' bread? If so, I let mine sit out once it's first risen for at least overnight, to soak the dough a bit as per WP and phytates and all that jazz. It always comes up fine when I bake it.

As far as I am aware, the second rising happens while cooking, a combo of the steam and hot temperature.

If you are using the above method, make sure you follow the instructions fairly tightly the first few times....such as the amount of stretch there should be in the dough, the resting time, pre-heated oven with steam etc.

As for there being a hard crust on the dough in the fridge after one day, no, I don't think there should be. Your dough should be covered, with just a very small space for escaping gases. In the above link, they use a plastic container with fitted lid, with a tiny hole poked in the lid.

If this is not the method you've tried, it 's worth a try, it works well for me and it's tasty.
yes i'm doing the artisan bread in 5 minutes a day or less, the recipe for whole wheat bread i have says to let it rise for 2-3 hours when you first mix it, and then form the loaf and let it rise another 1 hr and 40 minutes before baking. i'm following the instructions exactly, or so i thought. are you saying that you don't do a second rise after taking it out of the fridge and forming a loaf? i admittedly don't have the book yet, i'm on the waiting list at the library. i'd really rather not buy it until i'm sure it's going to work for me. here's the recipe i'm going off of:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-...ay.aspx?page=6

the bread actually comes out tasting delicious, if a little dense. but the loaf is a completely useless flat shape. there's no way i can make this be "the bread" that my family uses. but the flavor and crust texture are amazing otherwise.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote