Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #11
photocat
Registered Users

Re: 5 minute bread flop...help?

One difference I noticed between the recipe I linked and the one you're using is the oven temp, one is 450 f, the recipe you're using says 350 f for the oven. Not sure how much difference that makes but I imagine you'd have to bake it longer to account for the lower temperature, therefore giving a harder, crustier exterior.

I used spelt flour when I made it, about half whole wheat/half white. I would also perhaps suspect the 100% wholewheat flour to be the culprit if your loaf is very dense, ww can be really heavy and often in the stores, ww bread is not made with 100% ww flour.

As for a second rise, I think the recipe suggests letting it 'rest' for up to 90 minutes to improve the hole structure of the loaf. I do this but I noticed it doesn't really rise like regular bread would during this time, it mostly just rises in the oven, with the hot temp and the steam.

Advertisement

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #12
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

no the crust is perfect, and i think the temperature is just fine. yes it's a little dense, but not anymore than i would expect ww bread to be. it just never rises. so the loaf is flat to begin with. seriously, it is an inch thick from bottom to top and it never even fills the pan, there's no way it can even be cut into decent slices. does your bread dough double in the oven? hmmm.....i dunno, i've just never had bread rise in the oven. usually, in my experience, once it goes in the oven, game over, the loaf is the shape it's going to be. i've been forming the dough so that it fills 1/2 the bread pan to start, but do i maybe need to do more? should it maybe almost fill the loaf pan?

i had another thought on this, i'm curious what kind of bread pan did you use? cause i used a metal one, and i've dabbled in sourdough a bit and with sourdough i know you're not supposed to use a metal pan because it somehow affects the ability of the yeast to function correctly. i've never had a problem using metal with a regular yeast bread, but do you think maybe with this bread since it's a little different that it might make a difference and i should use glass or stoneware? anyways, it was just a thought i had and i was wondering if maybe the people who were successful at it were using that kind of pan (it might also be something that was mentioned in the book and not in the article )
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #13
aclee
Registered Users

My Mood:

This is the exact issue I am having. I made some loaves in a metal baking pan and some round and on the baking stone. Neither of them made a difference. It says that it's supposed to make 3 or 4 loaves, and both times it made 2 little tiny loaves. No rising. I am going to try the higher temperature on my next attempt. I think that would make a huge difference. I've even let it rise for 2 or more hours after coming out of the fridge for the second rising. Not only does it not rise that second time, but it's completely deflated after the first rise, which went very well.

Am I using the wrong kind of yeast maybe? Does this take a certain kind?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #14
craezie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The method doesn't work well for 100% whole wheat, IMO. I get nice, high loaves with up to 3 cups of ww flour (out of the 6.5 cups total). Anything past that, and it gets flat and dense.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #15
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by craezie View Post
The method doesn't work well for 100% whole wheat, IMO. I get nice, high loaves with up to 3 cups of ww flour (out of the 6.5 cups total). Anything past that, and it gets flat and dense.
well that's disappointing. i really want a 100% whole wheat bread have you tried other whole grain flours with it like spelt or anything? or just the all-purpose white flour?
Old 02-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #16
aclee
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm using white whole wheat...has anyone done that?
Old 02-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #17
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

ugh well after re-trying this this weekend and having 2 more flops i am discouraged. i did it in glass pans this time, and i followed this faq for other ideas (and it made me feel a little better about it not rising much before being put in the oven) it:

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=1481

it seemed to help a little bit, but not enough. i also tried cooking one of the loaves at 450, which resulted in a burnt top and uncooked bottom, and no further rising. it seriously didn't rise at ALL in the oven, no matter what temperature i used maybe i'll back off and try white flour for a couple tries and see if i can't get that to work first since it can be easier to work with than whole wheat.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #18
photocat
Registered Users

Well, I'm out of ideas. Have you checked the temp on your oven, is it fan forced or is it an oldie? Maybe it heats unevenly?

Something I'm doing at the moment...I make my regular recipe bread dough, let it rise once, punch it down and refrigerate it. The next morning I pull some off and shape it for bread rolls, let them rise....takes a little longer because they are still cold so I set the tray over the sink with some hot water in the sink....then bake them. The next morning I do the same and the morning after, then the dough is used up. That way we have fresh bread rolls for the day, eldest ds for school lunch, me and the lil guy for lunch at home.

They rise well and look and taste good once they're baked. I'm using about 60/40 whole wheat/white flour for this.

Maybe try using your regular bread recipe if you have one and doing it this way?

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #19
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

well you do have a point about my oven. we live in an apartment, and it's old and not stellar. i know it doesn't heat evenly, or even accurately. that's very possibly a problem for me.

i didn't think the refrigerator thing would work for a regular bread recipe. but if so, i'm going to try that! i do have a recipe i've used successfully in the past, so maybe i'll just give that a shot. thanks
Old 02-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #20
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

dp sorry

Last edited by Liadan23; 02-23-2011 at 11:35 AM.