Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
petuniajo
Registered Users
seller
seller

How do I use soup bones?

I always get soup bones with my beef order. The farm we order from just includes them in the package we get, and you can't opt out. But I never know how to use them. I've found a bunch of complicated instructions online, but I'm not all about that .

I'd really like to just use them to make a simple beef stew or something. Can you give me detailed instructions on how you use yours (e.g., how much water, how long to boil, etc)?

Last time I just boiled them for a few hours, removed the meat, and added some carrots, potatoes and celery. It was ok, but really bland (maybe I needed to boil longer???) yet had a ton of fat once I refrigerated it.

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #2
photocat
Registered Users

Re: How do I use soup bones?

Hmmm, I would probably use them to make broth/stock. I would boil them up in lots of water, with a dash of vinegar, an onion, a celery stick, carrot or just whatever leftover vegies are lying around, and maybe a few peppercorns. Boil it for hours....what I do with chicken bones is boil them all day, adding water as needed, turning the pan off if I go out and back on when I'm home. Then again the next day. So I'd do the same with beef bones. Then strain it, and if you want to skim off the fat, refrigerate it so it comes off easily. Lovely beef stock. You can condense it by boiling it till it dries up as much water as you want, that way it will have more flavour, but you still may need some salt or other seasonings. Then I'd perhaps use that as the base of a stew.

Not sure about just making them into a stew straight up, I'm sure someone else will have some advice.

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
petuniajo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oy, that sounds like a lot of time involved, and since DH and I are both FT graduate students, we are never home for two days in a row (or even a whole day!). Plus I rarely use stock in recipes... Maybe I would though if I had put all that work into making it!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #4
photocat
Registered Users

Yep, if you're out most of the day it wouldn't work really well for you, maybe if you're in on weekends? As for using it, I have to admit I have a lot of homemade chicken stock in my freezer that I need to find uses for...

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:36 AM   #5
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

You can roast them with some herbs and olive oil to get them all brown and crackly. This increases the flavour when you boil bones for soup. If you aren't around to simmer for a while, you could throw them in your crock pot with some water and onions, more herbs, for the day. It might take a bit longer, but you could at least walk away from it. Then you will have a nice beef stock you can use for a variety of things (soups, sauces, cooking rice, stew -- you would have to thicken it for stew).

I realize these aren't detailed instructions... LOL But, I am cooking pancakes and kids are biting my ankles. Let me know if you think you want to try this and I can fill in the vagueness.

Last edited by Geckmumto3; 02-06-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
petuniajo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post
You can roast them with some herbs and olive oil to get them all brown and crackly. This increases the flavour when you boil bones for soup. If you aren't around to simmer for a while, you could throw them in your crock pot with some water and onions, more herbs, for the day. It might take a bit longer, but you could at least walk away from it. Then you will have a nice beef stock you can use for a variety of things (soups, sauces, cooking rice, stew -- you would have to thicken it for stew).

I realize these aren't detailed instructions... LOL But, I am cooking pancakes and kids are biting my ankles. Let me know if you think you want to try this and I can fill in the vagueness.
Oh I am ALL ABOUT my slow cooker! If you have a way that I can make stock or use them some other way in my slow cooker, I would *love* some further details when you get a chance!
Old 02-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

What I would do is this:

Use a bunch of bones at once -- accumulate 3-6 or so to make it worth your while. Brush them with olive oil (or if you want to get fancy, you can brush them with tomato paste and olive oil). Roast them in a lightly oiled/greased roaster at about 375 or 400 for about 30 mins a side, until they are all crackly.

Put the roasted bones in your crockpot and cover with fresh water. At this point you can get creative with it-- personally I would put parsley, peppercorns, a few chopped carrots, some celery (leaves included), a chopped onion or two (just quarter them, so they are easy to find after), a chopped leek, a bay leaf, some kosher salt (to taste). For best results cook long and low (12 hours +).

Strain it through a small holed colander into a stockpot. If the bones had meat on them, you can pick through the bits for the meat. Refrigerate the stock until cooled. You can then skim the fat off (DH would have me keep it on, because he feels it adds taste, but it looks foul to me ). After that you freeze it in smaller portions. Alternatively, if you don't mind the fat, or you don't think there is much fat (which if the bones are cleanish, there likely isn't), you can freeze it straight away in ice cube trays, freezer bags, whatever....

Uses- Defrost and use for soup base, thicken for stews or pot pies, use for cooking rice/quinoa/couscous, etc...

Hope that helps!
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
MamaRachel
Registered Users
Formerly: *lsilver*
seller

My Mood:

I always make my stock in the crock pot! I loosely follow these instructions- they're for chicken stock but I'd imagine you'd just adjust the spices for beef. And I agree with PP that you should use a few bones
http://www.nourishingdays.com/2009/0...the-crock-pot/
Old 02-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
petuniajo
Registered Users
seller
seller

SWEET! I'm so making stock in my crockpot--thanks for the help!