Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Would you wait until 2:30?....

I will be 32 weeks tomorrow.

I went to bed at 10:30 pm and I was so tired I slept like a rock but I remember waking up for a few seconds, at least three times, and my stomach was rock hard and I was experiencing a contraction. I've never had them through the night before and they were not painful, but the Braxton Hicks I usually have are far and few in between and not this noticeable, kwim?

So I woke up this morning and I noticed as soon as I opened my eyes that I'm having the contractions very frequently, like several per hour. They don't have any pattern but they're coming so often I am concerned. So I started timing them once I finally found my pen and paper. Here's a sample:

9:39 a.m.
9:42 a.m.
9:45 a.m.
9:52 a.m.
10:01 a.m.
10:09 a.m.
10:15 a.m.
10:17 a.m.
10:22 a.m.
10:26 a.m.
10:35 a.m.
10:42 a.m.
10:51 a.m.
10:55 a.m.
10:59 a.m.

See what I mean? They're so frequent, yet don't seem to have a pattern. It will be every 4 minutes, then go up to every 9 minutes, then be all over the place with no pattern at all.

I have an appointment today at 2:30 pm, about three and a half hours from now (it's a few minutes after 11am my time). My husband will be home at 12pm to watch the kids while I go... I'm wondering if I should just head in as soon as he gets home or if I should wait and bring this up at the appointment.

I tried calling my clinic to speak to the nurse but had to leave a voice mail instead - she didn't pick up. They are usually pretty quick about calling people back since this is a high-risk clinic but I'm just nervous and wanted your opinions while I wait...

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Would you wait until 2:30?....

Given that your last LO came at 33 weeks, and assuming that her birth wasn't the result of an accident or an induction or some medical-related incident, I would also be concerned.

Did your last labor start naturally? If so, I'd probably start trying to get ahold of someone to go get checked out.

BTW - I am 31 wks as well, and I have BHs on and off, sometimes for hours, other times just a few a day, sometimes painful, sometimes not. But, I don't have your same history, so I personally don't find it alarming.

Last edited by Kiliki; 02-03-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
Given that your last LO came at 33 weeks, and assuming that her birth wasn't the result of an accident or an induction or some medical-related incident, I would also be concerned.

Did your last labor start naturally? If so, I'd probably start trying to get ahold of someone to go get checked out.

BTW - I am 31 wks as well, and I have BHs on and off, sometimes for hours, other times just a few a day, sometimes painful, sometimes not. But, I don't have your same history, so I personally don't find it alarming.
Yes, it began naturally. I had very sporadic contractions with my first LO, but was dilated to just shy of 4cm, and they claimed he wasn't looking so good on the NST & would be super huge (which didn't turn out to be true at all) so pushed for Pitocin to "get things going". My second was induced from the first contraction because of complications.

With my last one, I began having these same very frequent but sporadic contractions for two weeks straight before her birth... They always poo-poo'ed my concerns, told me it didn't have any pattern so not to worry about it, told me I was overreacting, etc. That's partly why I'm hesitant now... I don't want to be turned away with a pat on the head and a, "You're overracting again"... But I swear, this brings back memories of when I was pregnant with my last girl and I kept telling them that these contractions were coming too often to be normal.

These contractions began out of the blue, and they began out of the blue last time, as well. Just infrequent Braxton Hicks, then with no warning they suddenly came nearly constantly until it turned into real labor.

By the time they took me seriously with DD2, I was 6cm dilated and it wasn't possible to stop the labor at that point. I'm going to call again in a minute because the nurse still hasn't called me back.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

I would just go in early. With my latest DD my contractions never became regular and never were the same. I'd have a 5 minute contraction, 7, 10, 3, 10. They never evened out. Also it would be every 5 minutes, every 20 minutes, 15 minutes. I am also the only person that I've heard of that has had 10 minute long contractions. ( the monitor in the hospital was picking them up and my Dr, Doula and Nurse kept commenting on how long they were and how odd it was since they hardly ever see them that long)

Anyway my point is, it won't hurt your Dr's office to see you early.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

Wanted to say, my DD is Amelia also
Old 02-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

I can't imagine them ignoring your concerns, considering you've had this happen before... that would be really upsetting
Old 02-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&A'smommy View Post
I would just go in early. With my latest DD my contractions never became regular and never were the same. I'd have a 5 minute contraction, 7, 10, 3, 10. They never evened out. Also it would be every 5 minutes, every 20 minutes, 15 minutes. I am also the only person that I've heard of that has had 10 minute long contractions. ( the monitor in the hospital was picking them up and my Dr, Doula and Nurse kept commenting on how long they were and how odd it was since they hardly ever see them that long)

Anyway my point is, it won't hurt your Dr's office to see you early.
I think that will be the plan... This just makes me so nervous considering my history. And they still haven't called me back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&A'smommy View Post
Wanted to say, my DD is Amelia also
It's such a gorgeous name! Classic and beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
I can't imagine them ignoring your concerns, considering you've had this happen before... that would be really upsetting
They seem to take me much more seriously this time, in general... I'm going to the same clinic as last time. I know they know they really messed up last time. Last time they had been telling me I was overreacting to Braxton Hicks contractions right up until an hour before I finally got some resident doctor to come in and check me, and they all looked like they were about to die because 60 minutes before they had been dismissing me and ignoring my concerns and even outright telling me to just relax, and I gave birth less than 3 hours later.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymom View Post

They seem to take me much more seriously this time, in general... I'm going to the same clinic as last time. I know they know they really messed up last time. Last time they had been telling me I was overreacting to Braxton Hicks contractions right up until an hour before I finally got some resident doctor to come in and check me, and they all looked like they were about to die because 60 minutes before they had been dismissing me and ignoring my concerns and even outright telling me to just relax, and I gave birth less than 3 hours later.
And for that reason, I think I'd become their worst patient. lol. Call them every half hour until they respond. Don't be afraid to be assertive. You're PAYING them for a service and you deserve to be treated in the way you want. If you feel concerned, than they should, too.

Don't be afraid to remind them about what happened last time, either!!! They may actually not remember you as clearly as you think just from your name or your face b/c they probably see tons of patients. KWIM? A few might, but the receptionist who takes messages to relay to doctors may not.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #9
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

Definitely go in as soon as your DH gets home. It's better to be safe considering your history.

I had no history for preterm birth, but I listened to my instinct and went in. I was able to keep my son from being born at 30 weeks and got him to 34 weeks, which, as you know, could really make a difference.

GL mama!
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #10
meganne79
Registered Users
seller

I hope you hear back soon mama! I'd go in for sure if you've tried drinking tons and laying on your left side quietly with no relief.

RN/CNM Student/SAHM to Maggie 03-23-06,
Nora 04-06-09, and Ben 05-03-11
meganne79 is offline   Reply With Quote