Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
gardenmama76
Registered Users
seller

mama cloth - wool backing vs PUL or fleece? Your favorite?

I THOUGHT I'd narrowed my choices for mama cloth down to domino pads or party in my pants, but then I found Moonbows by fussybutt and read about the wool backing (and just so happen to be starting to get very into wool for nighttime diapering dd), and I thought that was genius! Does anyone have experience with either/both? I'm concerned about heat retention and sweating with the PUL backing or even fleece for that matter.

Does the wool REALLY breathe? Do PUL and fleece really not breathe? And I'm assuming with a stay dry fleece layer on top that would make the pad itself stay dry, but perhaps not you because the heat would make you sweat more? I don't believe any of those three brands offer a stay dry fleece liner, but I've been considering that too. However, most of the weight I carry is on my lower half, and I don't want to get too sweaty.

Any input or even recommendations about other brands are welcome!!

I'm relatively heavy set and have VERY heavy periods - I can go through a super plus tampon AND an overnight style store bought pad underneath it in a few hours on my heaviest days!

I'm not opposed to lanalizing wool though - I have to do my longies for dd so it's no trouble (I read you can just spritz the backing with some lanolin), but I also wonder if the wool would be waterproof enough for my heavy flow?

Advertisement

gardenmama76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
kat1205
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: mama cloth - wool backing vs PUL or fleece? Your favorite?

I've used the ones I make with fleece backing even in September (the hottest part of the year here) and not been sweaty and it's 1000x better than disposables.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a few pul ones & hated them. they do NOT breath & felt gross. Now all of mine Pink Lemonade & Homestead Emporium are fleece backed. I wear at least a panty liner every day & have not had a problem w/ them not breathing
Old 02-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

I use fleece-backed ones too. Fleece is water-resistant but it is breathable. Wool is also water-resistant and breathable (and is a natural fabric to boot!). So you would not sweat with either of these backings and would also get great leak protection. Both of these backings hold up well with super heavy flow. PUL does not breathe at all.

I have not used a stay-dry top, those fabrics are polyester and I personally don't want synthetic fabrics next to my most sensitive area. But a lot of women use them and like them and I haven't heard/read of complaints of stay-dry tops making you sweat. There some mama cloth makers and wearers here who use minky and other poly tops and they will hopefully give you more info on this.

Pretty much any cloth pad that is long enough and has a good bit of absorbency (I'd try postpartum pads if I were you) would be better than disposables for you. Lots of women experience a reduction in flow once they quit using chemical-filled products to manage their menses and I hope you find that to be your experience too!
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:33 AM   #5
burgler
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the thoughts. I have wondered this also, as I have ventured into making some of my own mama cloth. I am making a postpartum stash, and have used fleece for the backing for most of them, though might try to make some with wool. For the mamas that use fleece, what kinds of fleece do you use? I got some WindPro on sale, but it is pricey. I also got some Polar Fleece 100 wt on sale. Will that be thick enough?
Old 02-06-2011, 01:52 AM   #6
aylasmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mine are all fleece backed and while my flow isn't as heavy as yours I've never had issues with leaking. I find them very comfortable and not warm at all. I had heard about pul backed pads, but when Ayla experienced sensitivity to pul in her dipes, I realized I probably wouldn't do well with it either.

Foggy Knits WAHM Page Foggy Knits Facebook
aylasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:21 AM   #7
Earthy Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wow! i cant believe how many people use fleece, not a bad thing, i just didnt even now they used fleece, althoug is does make sense, as for me...WOOL ALL THE WAY!
i would like to recommend "naturalbluecloud" on etsy.
she uses all organic merino wool on the back, and organic cotton hemp. these are extremely absorbent! and she has ones that are for night time/postpardum...i actually have the most of those, although i have them in every size, light med heavy and night time...they have helped my period get lighter (it took a few periods to make a big difference but i noticed slowly over each one), i have switched from using the toxic disposable ones (they have chemicals in them that pull blood from your body)...i love them they are great.
before i got these i used lotus pads, and the ones i got were made from just organic cotton (i baught a few of these then found these other moon pads), so i may not be the best person to ask because i havent has experience with the PUL ones or fleece...
you can get all organic cotton fleece, other wise it is made with synthetic materials as is PUL so for me, id stay away from those. they do not breathe as does the natural materials do.
i only use wool covers on my daughter, after i baught a few PUL covers, and with in one diaper change, and yes i do change her often, her poor baby bum was beat red!
so that in itself is enough for me to stay away from those yucky materials...
i hope i helped, and i hope you try out the naturalbluecloud moon pads im telling u about, along with any other mama reading my reply
Earthy Momma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:23 AM   #8
Earthy Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

just like to add, i dont think i will ever get another brand, i have no desire to try any others, i feel these are made so well i dont need to find another brand...lol
oh and i dont relanolize mine, ive never had that spray and mne are fine, but im sure for the extra protection and if u have that stuff itd be great to use
Earthy Momma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
eapoosmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I make and sell both. You would be fine with either. microfleece or wool will support your needs, but wool is going to be more personal environment friendly being that it is the natual choice. It is going to come down to what you want to spend.

as for Fussybutt, Christy and I are both pad makers. I have collected pads at my home from all the long time/old school and popular pad makers for several years past for the Fluff Factory Charity auctions.

Christy's pads are worth every penny and in my opinion are superior to any others, just as her diapers are. I would suggest trying at least one, you won't be dissappointed!
Old 02-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #10
eapoosmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

forgot to answer....yes wool really does breath. Micro does breath but less than wool and PUL not so much at all.

I have to also agree that Hemp is going to be the more absorbant topper.
Organic Hemp Velour is buttery soft like Organic Bamboo Velour but has a bit more substance and absorbancy to tackle an extra heavy flow need. Oganic Hemp Velour is my all time favorite for pad construction with good reason and while it comes in a natural coloring it can be handdryed to meet any color needs.