Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #11
MelDM
Registered Users
Formerly: newmom
seller

My Mood:
I am in Alberta Canada and work in L&D. On our unit if all is well and you are not a first time mom you can be discharged 6 hours after delivery. I'm hoping to be gone 6 hours after this LO is born!

Advertisement

Mama to 3! Brooke (4), Katie (3) and our newest addition, Ryan born 3/5/2011!
MelDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #12
Tarah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is the "required" hospital stay now 48 hours where you live?

Yes, I stayed 48hrs after delivery, but I didn't mind because she was my first. For future children I may want to leave earlier if I can.
Tarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #13
ThreadsThatBind
Registered Users
Formerly: Lucy'sMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyh74 View Post
yeah, they have that in Illinois and when we took the tour before having the baby, the tour guide made it sound like it was a big hassle to leave early...My issue was that they wouldn't let my 7 year old stay overnight (Whom I labored next to and I sleep with nightly), so I had to stay with the baby in the hospital and hubby went home to be with our older son...Yeah, I'd have rather left too. I basically had to lie to the nurse twice telling her that my son was breastfeeding even though he wasn't really interested, otherwise they were REALLY pushing the formula hard!!
Hmmm, I'm in IL too and I barely stayed 24 hours. My dr had no problems releasing me the morning after I delivered. I'm not sure if/what the hospital policy was....but everyone acted as though it was normal that I was leaving. My sister delivered 2 months ago in the same hospital and only stayed one night as well.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:03 PM   #14
nicolehmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here in NC they'll let you go home after the baby is 24 hours old. You might have to insist on being released "early", but as long as there are no complications, they should let you go home - they cant hold you there without your consent!
nicolehmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #15
ThreadsThatBind
Registered Users
Formerly: Lucy'sMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindaCrunchyMomma View Post
Be careful if you check out AMA, your insurance can refuse to pay.
Ya that! You don't want to get stuck with some huge bill just because you left a day early.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #16
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our insurance companies are actually the ones who have dictated that length of time, but it has been my experience that if you are ready to go and you attending is okay with that then they will let you go early and not have to leave AMA.

Please be aware that if you do choose to leave AMA some ins co's will not pay the bill.

Good luck with you hospitalization.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #17
lemurkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

At our hospital you are required to stay for 4 hours afterwards then you can check yourself out (usually AMA) but for first time mom's they usually stay at least 48 hours or more, and usually only about 24 hours if you've had a baby before.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #18
sbbeana
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my first and second birth I was told the preferred stay was 48hr hours. Since I had a complicated free birth I was allowed to go home after 24hs which is what I did. The longest part was waiting on the pediatrician to sign the discharge papers for the babies.

Last edited by sbbeana; 02-06-2011 at 07:33 PM.
sbbeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #19
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller

Around here it's 24 hours, I know my sis in Ohio was 48 (she ended up leaving AMA because her baby transferred to another facility for the NICU). I actually was there less than 24 without a problem, I don't feel comfortable at all in hospitals and they routinely IV, I sat with an IV in a collapsed vein until they would let me leave. They told me I could stay longer if I wanted to have a lactation consult but DS was latching fine (and my arm was killing me) so I scooted out while I could
Like my Facebook! Etsy
Scaethach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #20
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hminor11 View Post
I live in Oklahoma and at the hospital I delivered you only had to worry about your attending physician and pediatrician. As long they both OK'd you and baby to go you could leave when you wanted. I got to go home 12hrs after delivery and would have gotten to go earlier but the pedi got tied up with another patient. According to the hospital staff it was a mandatory 48hr stay. It didnt matter though, I already had it pre-planned with my midwife and pedi
Hello fellow Okie! And With two of my sons (DS1 and DS3) i was in the hospital just one night. My CNM was fine with me leaving after that 24hr period..... and from what i understand the 24hour rule in OK stems from required testing on the newborn, not the mother. And well one cannot leave without the other, so they keep the mom for 24 hours. She said if i wanted to leave prior to 24hours, i could always drive back at the 24hour mark to have the baby tested, but well i just never felt like doing all that driving!