Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
tiger*baby
Registered Users
seller

Thrush :( - Stay with cloth or use disposables?

New Questions: Should I use disposable diapers for a bit while dealing with thrush? Or is cloth okay if I take extra precautions? If so, what extra steps should I use to keep the diapers free from yeast?

And 2nd question - Any tips for getting the baby to take the nystatin? He keeps spitting it out the little bugger!

I've been dealing with a horrible bout of mastitis that left me with an abscess, for which I was on antibiotics for 3 weeks. The mastitis has resoved and the abscess is getting smaller (thankfully a drain was not required - yet), but now I think I'm getting thrush. This has been the longest month of my life EVER. But it's all worth it to continue breastfeeding my beautiful little boy!

I have shooting pains during nursing, itchy/burning nipples, VERY fussy and gassy baby with green poops... Does this sound like thrush? I don't see any white spots in his mouth, but I think I'm getting the start of a vaginal yeast infection. I plan to call my doc and the ped tomorrow, but if you have any successful methods for helping to get rid of thrush, please post.

ETA: Thrush has been confirmed. Starting on diflucan for me and nystatin for the baby.

Advertisement

Last edited by tiger*baby; 02-08-2011 at 11:48 AM.
tiger*baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
Powersmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I just want to cry - Thrush :(

Eat yogurt. The natural cultures help fight yeast. My baby had thrush and did have the white spots. I hate thrush it is so awful! If thrush does show up in your do's mouth just put a drop of dish soap in 6 oz of water and shake it and rub it on his gums. The antibiotic they gave my dd made her tummy so upset and made her spit up a lot, I don't remember dd having green poops though that sound like something else. Good job keeping the breastfeeding up mama! you can do it! Hope that you get better soon.
Powersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
DWA
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm so sorry...that does sound like thrush.
There are some things you can do....
LOTS of probiotics, yogurt, GSE (grapeseed extract), cut sugar out of your diet. There is that purple stuff (i'm blanking on the name) that can be put on your nipples and will treat the baby's mouth,too.
If you suspect it you really need to have the baby treated too because if you don't and you treat yourself but he has been exposed it will just get passed back and forth.
Good luck, mama!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
ksingh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would highly recommend trying out some probiotics. Biogia makes some infant drops or you could put some of the powder kind on your nipples and try giving by bottle once a day mixed with some breastmilk.
ksingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

The purple stuff is Gentian Violet
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

gse is really effective - i took the capsules orally plus rinsed with a diluted solution after nursing, probiotics for you and baby and coconut oil in baby's mouth before and after nursing, no lanolin on nips and use coconut oil instead. you can lower your carb intake and up your garlic intake as well
Old 02-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh the niastatin that is commonly prescribed is only 50% effective and the purple stuff stains everything!

you can do diluted vinegar rinses on your nipples and down below - you can also insert probiotic capsules down there for quicker results at night time and use plain yogurt or coconut oil to soothe the area.

on the thrush - we had a bad bout with baby 3
Old 02-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
Dpopeaz
Registered Users
seller

I fought thrush with my first 2 kiddos and it is horrible. The only thing that worker for us was the gentian violet. U can pick it up at most Heath food stores or u can have a pharmacy order it for you since they don't normally stock it. I would
Rub a small amount on the inside of their mouth before nursing. Just be careful because it stains everything!! Also sanitize anything that comes into contact with your nipples/ milk and if the baby has it make sure u sanitize any bottles/ pacifiers/ toys. I am new to cloth so my other 2 were in sposies, but I believe u may need to treat your diapers as well until the thrush is gone.

The green poop was never a symtom of thrush for us, but my DD does get green poopies from allergies to food?!?!
Dpopeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

and green poo can be bc of too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk, very possible too if you have an overabundent supply , if this is the case you can block feed to help that
Old 02-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
feelinfroggie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i deal with thrush a lot when I'm breastfeeding. We just finished a round of thrush actually with my 6 week old.

Gential violet works wonders but stains! knocked out the thrush in 3 days... and he and I had both been on nystatin and diflucan for 2 weeks before I went to GV without any change!

good luck mama! Thrush sucks so much!
feelinfroggie is offline   Reply With Quote