Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
Registered Users

Wife and Mama to Julia 4/06 Ariana 7/07
"Handsome" Isaiah 2/09 Caleb 1/12
I've gotten ton$ of FREE Gift Card$! $wag with me. Zulily MrRebates

Last edited by mrspnut82; 05-31-2012 at 11:31 PM.
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Need advise for my neice

I was in your niece's situation for a bit - my DD lost 13% of her weight by four days after birth due to a painful and not very good latch that we just couldn't correct because she had some mild tongue/upper lip tie that the pediatricians refused to see (but it was very obvious to lactation consultant). We were sent home from her 4 day appointment with a bag of formula and me in tears.

I gave about 2 ounces of formula by bottle for about 3 days, plus pumping 2- 3 times/day and feeding it back to my daughter. Then I quit the formula, and at 2 week appointment weight gain still wasn't good (still not back up to birth weight) so we added 2-3 ounces of formula back in for another week. I also supplemented with domperidone - since my daughter's latch wasn't that good, she wasn't drawing enough milk each feed, so my supply wasn't increasing Finally the latch started to improve (nursing stopped being painful around 5-6 weeks) and things got better. We have had no need to supplement since 6 weeks, I dropped the domperidone at 4 months, and we are now at 8.5 months.

Nursing constantly is the best way to get her supply up. But, if baby has a bad latch that can't be corrected because of ties/small mouth, whatever, then baby may need some feedings by bottle of formula or pumped milk to get that extra nutrition. We would nurse for 20-40 minutes every 1.5 hours and then give her a little formula or milk by bottle every second feeding. I was sore, exhausted, and feeling like a failure, and frustrated that the doctors refused to see that there was a legitimiate tongue tie problem.

Supplementing with a bottle - or an SNS - may be necessary if your niece's daughter has a similar problem. It doesn't sound like she has been to a lactation consultant, so I can't really tell you if it is unnecessary for your niece to nurse, pump, and supplement with formula, or if her doctors are just being jerks. Best way to find out is to weigh baby before and after a nursing to see if baby is getting at least an ounce/hour from nursing.
rsu is offline   Reply With Quote