Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
Lousli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Talk to me about mama cloth for PP bleeding

I've never used mama cloth. In fact, I rarely use pads at all because I hate the feeling of wetness/leaking onto the cloth. But I know for postpartum bleeding I need to have pads of some kind. Does mama cloth feel more comfortable in terms of wetness than disposable pads? Is it icky to wash? I know that seems a weird question from someone who plans to wash poop off diapers, but pp bleeding is kind of...extreme in terms of what my period is normally like.

Advertisement

Lousli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Talk to me about mama cloth for PP bleeding

I'll be able to answer more thoroughly in about 2 months

I can tell you though that the short amount of time I've used mama cloth it was far better than disposables. There's no smell for one thing. I find it more comfortable because it's just like thick underwear instead of scratchy paper in your underwear.

Anyway, I think most people just rinse them off and toss into the diaper pail and it all comes clean in the wash

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

they are great they dont stick and arent bulky(especially compared to those pillow pads in the hospital) they dont stick to you are crinkle, or smell bad. and they are soft and squishy and super duper absorbent(if you get the right kind of course). i dont rinse mine, just toss them in a bag and wash with the diapers and ive never had stains(4.5 years using them). i prefer OBV or minkee topped and wool or fleece backed, snapping pads. the OBV isnt stay dry but i never feel "wet" while wearing them.. do make sure you shop around and check fb though, you get what you pay for
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

MC is SO much better than sposies. They don't stick to you or feel so wet and nasty. Def a great choice! I too hate pads, but I converted to mc after my DS was born. They were great for pp and still are great!
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
BeedieWeedieB
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I went to mama cloth after ds2 was born as soon as I got home from the hospital. I prefer fleece topped for a total stay dry feeling. I really like Ama'z Padz that snap into her liners. I used to rinse them and put them in a wetbag I made for them and they just throw in diaper wash. After a while I got lazy and just put them as is in the wetbag, not a problem for me at all.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
Lousli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So how many would I need for postpartum and can someone link me to some that are good but not too terribly expensive?
Lousli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

I haven't used cloth for PP yet (didn't know about mama cloth at all when DD was born!), but I have been using it for well over a year now, and started making it for about 6 months, and -love- it! I don't tend to feel wet at all, and it isn't any more uncomfortable than wearing underwear alone for me.
And as a PP stated, no nasty smells, which is a huge plus.
I just rinse mine well in the sink and toss them in the laundry, as DD isn't in diapers anymore

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!
Squig'sMumMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Double post

But to add: Depending on how often you intend to do laundry, I would think 8 would be fine. More if you won't be doing laundry every day.

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!

Last edited by Squig'sMumMum; 02-07-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Squig'sMumMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ditto what everyone else said- no weird odors, soft and squishy, not plastic andcrinkly, and no adhesive to stick to your delicate skin and hair- you can shift them forward and back easily if you need to(wearing snug undies helps keep the pads from shifting and bunching)- you don't have to pull the whole thing off and restick it(and possibly touch the bloody part trying to restick it)

care is super easy- I just throw my pads in the wash with my diapers, or with my towels. I have never bothered rinsing or soaking- I love minky- it has a more stay dry feel, and doesn't stain!

6-8 is usually good for all day- the postpartum pads I make have a pocket to slip in a reusable icepack- many women order 3-4 of those, then some 13" heavy pads for when they don't need the pocket feature, and to save a couple $ per pad.

I've been using mama cloth for over 10 years, and will never go back!

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote