Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:
Rough day - Did I do the right thing?

I am 31 and change weeks pregnant.

My family Dr. kept me as his patient WAY longer then he should have since he doesn't deliver. I didn't get sent over to the mat clinic until I was 28 weeks.

I had my first appoinmtent with them last month it was fine. Second appointment the parking situation at the hospital where the clinic was, was a nightmare! I parked so far away that by the time I got to the clinic I was having contractions and I was sent directly to the delivery ward. (It is not unusual for me to have contractions from physical activity - I usually end up on bedrest in pregnancy.)

Today should have been my third appointment there. The parking was worse today as they have several areas roped off for construction. I called the clininc after I tried to find a spot for over 20 mintues and told them that I didn't think it was safe for me to try and walk that far to get to them. I also have a history of hypertension and my blood pressure has been creeping up - I was seen in hospital for that last week. The receptionist told me that the Dr would talk to me once I got there - to which I replied I needed to cancel my appointment because I COULDN'T get to them. The Dr came on the phone and told me that I should get a wheel chair from the entrance (the parking isn't near the entrance though) and wheel myself into the clinic!!! I told her that I can't do physical activity like that and she went on to say her sister is in a wheel chair and does it just fine it isn't THAT hard....This is the Dr who is supposed to be delivering my baby!!!

I said I wasn't comfortable with that solution and I asked if any of the clinic Dr's see patients in offices outside the hospital. She didn't like that question and told me that if I wanted to see someone else I would need a referral from my family Dr. to find another Dr. OK FINE.

So as it stands right now I have found another clinic. I will no longer be delivering at the closest hospital to my house. However 2 of my 3 children were born at the hospital I will now deliver at - it isn't THAT far away but not five minutes anymore - it will cost more in gas for appointments, and it will be a little harder for DH to get there when I stay with baby. But they have night appointments so it won't be so hard on me to get there.

I wonder if I over-reacted but then I also feel like the Dr wouldn't listen to me and take me seriously today.

Would you have changed?

Advertisement

Last edited by mg5g; 02-07-2011 at 12:29 PM.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Rough day - Did I do the right thing?

Whoa. Yea, I would have changed too. I think they were pretty rude.

I delivered one time at a hospital and also had my prenatals there (this is US though not Canada) and parking was always ridiculous there, too. They had special spaces for hugely pregnant women (stork parking or something like that) but there were maybe 10 spaces, which were ALWAYS filled up. We usually had to park across the street and up a hill in a parking garage and then walk about 3/4 of a mile to get to the building. I hated it. But I didn't have the option to switch. If I did, I would have.

So, yes I think you did the right thing.

ETA: I wanted to say I am very sorry you had such a rough time.

Last edited by Kiliki; 02-07-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
lotusstewart
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally think you did the right thing. With both my pregnancies I ended up changing doctors (in the third trimester) because I didn't feel like they were listening to me, or because they suddenly had issues with my birth plan (which was discussed wayyy earlier). IMO, if you feel at all uncomfortable with the person delivering your baby- switch. It may be farther to drive, but sounds like it will be much less stressful overall. Hope you have smooth sailing from here on out!!
Old 02-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

BTDT. W/ my first pregnancy, twins, I was in the same situation. Shouldn't over do it and no parking at the clinic, also the hospital, had to walk far to get to the clinic. You absolutely did the right thing, shame on them!
Old 02-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Thanks Mamas

I had a BAD morning. I feel silly but I called my family practice office bawling like a baby. Oh pregger hormones...

At least they saw me live through the teen years - so nothing should surprise them - lol.

I feel better now. My mom/certified doula is REALLY happy about the change in venue and having that support helps. Dh isn't as happy about it - of course - but that is more due to logisitics of him getting there on time - he almost missed DS3's birth by the time someone came to watch our older kids since I went so fast. But I KNOW him and he will be totally fine with everything in a few hours.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow, I would have changed too, if possible. I don't see if it wasn't that far in their mind why someone couldn't have brought you the wheelchair. Sheesh! For what it's worth, there is a hospital about 5 minutes away from us, but I deliver at a hospital about 20 minutes away. It's where my OB practices and where my insurance says I have to go. I actually like it better than the hospital that is closer anyway.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
AutumnRose
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would have switched myself, thats seems a little crazy that they would have treated you like that. Sorry for your rough day
Old 02-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
IsaacsMom2009
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

In a heartbeat. Those people were being totally ridiculous
Old 02-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #9
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Again thank you all.

It was a rough morning but a GREAT day. My amazing kiddos went above and beyond with their MANY chores and we all had a nice evening since everything was done so early.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #10
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyroo77 View Post
Wow, I would have changed too, if possible. I don't see if it wasn't that far in their mind why someone couldn't have brought you the wheelchair. Sheesh! For what it's worth, there is a hospital about 5 minutes away from us, but I deliver at a hospital about 20 minutes away. It's where my OB practices and where my insurance says I have to go. I actually like it better than the hospital that is closer anyway.
Ditto all of this! lol

I'm glad your day perked up mama!! I totally would have changed offices too. That's just garbage!
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote