Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
anichka
Registered Users

Planning ahead, approaching 1st birthday

My little one will be turning 1 in a little over a month, and I have been looking at info regarding extended breastfeeding. I am pretty sure I want to keep on going until he decides it's time to quit, but I have a few questions about it.

Sometime this year I will have to go away for a two-week military training course. I've been in contact with the school, and pumping will be an issue. It's a very busy class, so there will be little to no time to pump, and there will be no storage facilities for the milk.

I am wondering if I go two weeks this fall with only hand expressing (when I am able!) if we should be able to continue nursing after an enforced break.

I may be able to put the school off another year... but regardless, I'll have to go sometime possibly before he wants to wean. I don't know if two weeks is long enough to bring an end to it all.

Also, when he turns one do I just start giving him whole cows milk as well if we're continuing to BF?

Thanks for any advice!

Advertisement

anichka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Planning ahead, approaching 1st birthday

I would say that at that age, your LO is more likely to wean from two weeks away than he would be a year later when he's older. But it is certainly possible for him to want to continue nursing after a two week break as well. It's really something that is going to be dependent on the kid I think.

As for pumping while you are gone. I think you should at least get breaks here and there to eat and use the bathroom. Even if you can just pump 4 times in 24 hours, that is probably okay to get through it. Say first thing when you wake up, at lunch time, before dinner, and before bed. That probably wouldn't disrupt your classes much I would think. If you are just pumping for supply, then don't worry about storage. If you can get storage, then it's bonus.

When he turns one, you can start giving him whole cows milk if you want to, but you certainly don't have to as long as you are still BF a good number of times per day. Cow's milk is a substitute milk for breast milk, so if you have plenty of breast milk, you don't need to use a substitute if you don't want to. If you need something to give him while you are away then cow's milk might be easy to use then. My LO drinks cow's milk at daycare, and also sometimes at home, like in a cup with her meal.