Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
BargainAmy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Natural Sugar Substitution

What can I use to replace sugar in my cooking/baking? I would like to reduce our refined sugar consumption. And what about proportions? How much honey to replace 1 cup of sugar, etc?

Some ideas I had: honey, agave, maple sugar, maple syrup, sugar in the raw?

Thanks!

Advertisement

BargainAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
rhettsgirl05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Natural Sugar Substitution

I use raw sugar and really like it. They say to use the same amount as your normal recipes call for I think.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like to use evaporated cane juice which tastes really good plain (like in tea) and subs 1:1 in recipes without changing the texture and/or liquid content of a recipe. I've even used it in koolade and no one in my family noticed it. Its pricy compared to refined white sugar, but so are all the more natural options.
lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
j+csmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use raw sugar for baking, and agave nectar for cooking or sweetening drinks. My sister swears by suconot but I haven't been able to find it locally.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Well, sugar is natural, from sugar cane. I'm not sure why it gets such a bad rap. It's sucrose, just like raw sugar, and neither is really better for you, IMO. But anyway, the turbinado sugar is supposed to be as close to the cane as you can get. At least that's what they claim.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
j+csmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post
Well, sugar is natural, from sugar cane. I'm not sure why it gets such a bad rap. It's sucrose, just like raw sugar, and neither is really better for you, IMO. But anyway, the turbinado sugar is supposed to be as close to the cane as you can get. At least that's what they claim.
It gets the bad rap because it's refined and processed. It's not in it's natural form.....
Old 02-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #7
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oooooh read Sugar Blues:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...ix=sugar+blues
Sugar is refined and it is really hard for the body to process. SUCROSE is notthe same as glucose that other foods get broken down into. Sucrose gets absorbed too quickly because it is not accompanied by the fiber/ vitamins/ minerals in the beet or cane it came from. Raw sugars are slightly better, but still not, um, good. They still tax the immune system and make your pancreas go nuts. I use raw honey in raw treats, brown rice syrup or maple syrup in baking and stevia in tea. Agave is supposed to be good but we all get headaches from it?

BUT even all-natural sweeteners are limited around here because they are too easy to eat to much of at the cost of healthier foods.

Good luck!

Last edited by momomom; 02-09-2011 at 06:39 PM.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
Minniebees
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not sure how much of that book is based on real biochemistry. But, I know that I don't feel the same way about sugar as a lot of the natural types do. We all eat a lot of things that are majorly processed (Flour anyone? Cheese? etc...) and that doesn't make it automatically horrible for you. The process to refine sugar isn't really that terrible. They basically boil the sugar cane until it is a syrup, and then purify it with phosphoric acid (the same stuff in soda. You definitely get more of it in a can of soda than from eating sugar), and then it is sent through activated charcoal, just like the filters they use in typical Brita water filters.

If you want to make sugar an issue for your family, that's fine. But make sure you choose to do it based on actual data, and not just because people like to talk about how horrible it is. Interestingly here: http://www.chemistrydaily.com/chemistry/Sucrose it says that maple sugars are sucrose. So, I guess using maple syrup isn't much different than using sugar cane.

Also, in the body as you digest it, sucrose is broken down in to fructose and glucose, anyway because sucrose is a disaccharide of glucose and fructose.

It's not that I dislike raw sugar. I use it in my coffee because I think it's yummier. And no one would ever say that sugar is an awesome thing to have in your diet; it's all about moderation. I'm just saying that everyone should make educated decisions, and be careful about everything you read on the internet. JMO (and I'm sure the flames are coming )
Old 02-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sugar Blues is a book based on real scientific studies and has about 12 pages of footnotes. So I feel pretty good about using it to make an informed decision about sugar for us. Also, based on personal experience, I feel really bad whe I eat it and really good when I avoid it. I like to encourage people to try giving it up to see how they feel. Many people have never been 2 weeks without it so they would never know if it made a difference in their energy or mood. Just my thoughts. But on the phosphoric acid- I wouldn't drink pop for the same reason I wouldn't use sugar. And on maple sugar- the sucrose is bound up with other things which slows its digestion, whereas white sugar is removed from the food from which it originally came, making it digest too rapidly for the body to metabolize well.

And yes, flour is "less good" for you than whole wheat berries or whole rice, and thus should ideally be ground upon demand. Everyone has to make nutrition decisions that are right for them and fit with their priorities.

I would differentiate between foods processed by natural methods, ie cheese (which we do not eat at our house), or at least could be naturally processed if food companies choose to do it that way, and foods processed with chemical and industrial machinery. You can make cheese at home from milk, maple syrup at home by tapping a sugar maple tree and boiling the sap, but you can't make white sugar at home from cane or sugar beet.

I'm not flaming you at all, just presenting a different side of the argument so people can consider different thoughts.

Last edited by momomom; 02-09-2011 at 09:22 PM.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:52 AM   #10
Minniebees
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Did you look through the footnotes and read the studies that they are using as reference? I've never read it, but you have to take books like that with a grain of salt. I remember I was reading a very popular antivaccination article a few years ago that had tons of footnotes at the end, so everyone thought it was "scientific" but when I looked up the studies that they used, the only thing they used from those studies were their definitions of terms. :/ They didn't use any actual science at all. It happens a lot.

The thing is, it's not like sugar is ever "good for you." Or should be enough of a component in your diet that the type of sugar you use should make any difference. None of us should ever eat sugar, probably. But I think choosing to use honey vs cane sugar (now I'm intrigued if I can make it, I can get cane sugar at my grocery store. Hmmm.... The process starts off very similar to maple syrup. I need to do more research - how cool would that be?), given how little sugar we should be consuming is a moot point.

Everyone should grind their own flour, though. Just sayin'. It's crazy how pathetic store bought flour is now that I started grinding my own.

I just found out that Modern Marvels has a sugar episode on Netflix! Ferb, I know what we're going to do today.