Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
knockknockknockin
Registered Users

My Mood:
Ammonia is getting worse! HELP!

I know there have been a number of threads about ammonia in dipes, but it is all is a bit confusing as to what to do...often lots of conflicting advice. I was wondering if you all could give be some suggestions for my specific problem.

We use BG Organics, wash in a FL, and have hard/hard-ish water. My usual routine is a cold rinse, followed by a heavy wash on hot wash/cold rinse with RnG for hard water, followed by an extra rinse.

SO...This last month, we have started getting an ammonia smell in the dipes after DD pees in them. It was just one or two at first, then a few more....and now it seems to be all of them. No only does it smell when we take it off but it leaves DD bum all red!

Yesterday, I tried switching to Tide Free (HE). I did a couple of rinses beforehand, then washed twice with the Tide on hot, and then did many (maybe 5) rinses. Coming out of the washer they smelled pretty good (much better than they had been smelly lately after using the RnG)...BUT we still got strong ammonia smell (and most times a red bum) with Every. Single. Diaper!

I am at a lose of what to do....What should I try next??

Advertisement

knockknockknockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ammonia is getting worse! HELP!

I wonder if they aren't getting clean enough...are BG Organics AIOs? I think AIOs are the hardest cloth diapers to clean How much Tide are you using? Where is your DD red?

I'd suggest either using more Tide and more rinses, or maybe try washing everything twice...I don't use AIOs but have a FL washer w/moderately hard water also (and wash in Tide) If either of those don't work, then you might want to look at getting some pockets and stuffing w/flats instead; this combo will wash up a lot better

Last edited by boysniris; 02-07-2011 at 08:50 PM.
boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i agree with pp - i dont think they are getting clean enough. ammonia is a reaction of urine and old urine. instead of doing so many extra rinses do another wash with soap. maybe up how much soap you would do. i would totally drop the RnG. I had horrible problems with it too. I use Country Save now (super hard water) and love it.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I agree - more wash and most importantly more water and the hottest water you can get. A little bleach goes a long way too and I find if I use a bit once a month my diapers smell fresher.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
knockknockknockin
Registered Users

My Mood:

Is there something I can do to get the old urine/ammonia that is in there now out? Like stripping them...but for ammonia/urine, not detergent? Should I soak them overnight? I've heard vinegar sometimes works? Or maybe dawn?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
b15chik
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiths13 View Post
i agree with pp - i dont think they are getting clean enough. ammonia is a reaction of urine and old urine. instead of doing so many extra rinses do another wash with soap. maybe up how much soap you would do. i would totally drop the RnG. I had horrible problems with it too. I use Country Save now (super hard water) and love it.
i also had issues with rng. i agree with this gal i'd use more detergent or switch altogether. i didn't have luck with country save but i know it works well for a lot of people. i'm personally a tide user and i know a lot of ladies with hard water love tide.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #7
knockknockknockin
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelsmummy View Post
I agree - more wash and most importantly more water and the hottest water you can get. A little bleach goes a long way too and I find if I use a bit once a month my diapers smell fresher.
Can I use bleach with BG Organics? They are AIOs, with a colored PUL outer layer.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
b15chik
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockknockknockin View Post
Is there something I can do to get the old urine/ammonia that is in there now out? Like stripping them...but for ammonia/urine, not detergent? Should I soak them overnight? I've heard vinegar sometimes works? Or maybe dawn?
if it's old urine, you just need to get them cleaner. i wouldn't strip unless you have detergent buildup. i guess this could go either way...but i'd try more detergent or a new detergent first, it sounds like they just aren't getting clean. and if that doesn't work i'd try a strip with dawn.

Last edited by b15chik; 02-07-2011 at 09:08 PM.
b15chik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockknockknockin View Post
IME vinegar soaks w/our hard water made diapers smell really weird and gross. I think stripping would be okay, but really just try washing a few times w/more Tide and hot water and I think that should take care of it

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
knockknockknockin
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
I wonder if they aren't getting clean enough...are BG Organics AIOs? I think AIOs are the hardest cloth diapers to clean How much Tide are you using? Where is your DD red?
Yes, they are AIOs. I am filling the Tide halfway between the 1 and 2 line (1 is for medium loads and 2 for large). It's the free and gentle, in liquid form. Is a different Tide better?

Oh, and DD gets red wherever the wet part of the diaper was touching her.