Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
Baby Jake's Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nursing problems - help!

I have a 3 week old baby girl. We are having some latch issues that I can't seem to fix. She is clicking when she eats and she has a shallow latch. I can't get her to open her mouth wide to take in enough of the breast. Her tongue and lips look fine when I can get her to latch deep but she still clicks. She is gaining weight so she is getting the milk - but my nipples are starting to hurt.
Also - she can't poop without screaming so hard that she turns purple and tears run down her face. When she finally does poop it fires out with so much force that it goes off an unfolded prefold. It is normally yellow (sometimes seedy) but it is really liquidy and sometimes 'foamy'. Could this be a milk protein allergy, foremilk/hindmilk imbalance or something else???? I have gone to a lactation consultant and talked with my midwife but they are baffled by the clicking and don't seem concerned about her painful poops.

HELP!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Advertisement

Old 02-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nursing problems - help!

I think your instinct is right about the milk imbalance or could you have an overactive letdown? Try to block feed! It will help with both! Also the clicking has to do with her latch. Are you sure she isn't tongue tied?? I'm surprised the LC hasn't tried to fix it. As hard as it is right now, make sure she gets a very deep latch! Use lanolin on your nipples. Sorry mama! Hope you can find help soon!!
Old 02-08-2011, 04:34 AM   #3
Baby Jake's Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She is not tongue tied (Jake was so we checked for that first).
Old 02-08-2011, 05:19 AM   #4
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

Do you feel like you have a high milk supply or an overactive letdown? I think you would know if you did.

If I were you, I would go off of all dairy.

Is she fussy? Those poops sound exactly like my babies. I went off of dairy (and actually a lot of other foods) for 6 months. I had the happiest baby on earth...and lost 40+ lbs. Best decision I ever made! lol

It took me three days off dairy to begin to see improvements and by the one to two week mark, I had an entirely different baby on my hands. You can always begin to add it back in later if you think you were wrong or to see if she can handle a certain level of dairy. I went off of it when my son was three months and was able to add it back in at nine months.

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me. I would love to help!
Mama2ManyBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:36 AM   #5
twolittlebeans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my last baby, I also had the clicking sound. My LC said it was a breaking suction. Do you have flat or inverted nipples that she is maybe having a hard time getting a deep enough latch with? It is a problem I am dealing with so that is why I asked....sounded too familiar .
Old 02-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
rsu
Registered Users

my daughter made the clicking sound and had a very painful latch until about five-six weeks. Although the PEDIATRICIAN said no tongue tie, the LC said there was a mild tongue tie (oh, am I anti-pediatricians these days) I was miserable, my daughter was struggling to get enough milk which was hurting my supply and I had to supplement her with pumping and a little formula (about 20-30 ounces total over the first six weeks of her life). It cleared up when her mouth/tongue got a little bigger. I am medium-large chested, do not have inverted or flat nipples, but her little mouth simply wasn't big enough to get a good latch on me (she was a good sized 8 pound baby (although she lost 13% in first four days due to bad latch), but she just had a tiny, 0-shaped mouth).

I went to a LL meeting trying to get the clicking sound diagnosed - it was so frustrating, nobody, not even the LC, was much help. Just stick with it and have faith it will improve; don't feel guilty if you have to supplement a little. I did use domperidone for a few months to increase supply since, due to her faulty latch, my supply didn't grow fast enough at first. I also had to put up with many days of cluster feeding.

One thing to watch for with the clicking sound - I did get a plugged duct, probably because she kept breaking her latch. I caught it early and was able to fix with hot wash cloth compresses (I would soak em, pop em in the microwave, and then put them on my breast immediately after she finished nursing).

I don't have much advice re: the poop. My daughter would hold her poop for several days and then have large poops but they weren't foamy, and she did have a big constipation problem when we first introduced food. For us, it was just waiting for the intestines to mature, and giving her lots of comfort and patience if she had distress.

Good luck, it will get better! We are now at 8.5 months and haven't had pain/formula since six weeks.
rsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
Baby Jake's Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think I have oversupply or letdown issues. She is only fussy when she has to poop. Normally she is very happy. No nipple issues on my end either (other than vaso spasms - ouch!!) I have an appointment with another LC next week - so hopefully she has some other suggestions for the latch issues!

The more I read the more I am thinking it could be the milk in my diet that is causing her poop problems. Maybe I will try cutting it out and see what happens.

If it is something I am eating that is causing the 'painful poop' would she only be fussy when pooping or should she be fussy after eating??

Last edited by Baby Jake's Mom; 02-08-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Baby Jake's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
Baby Jake's Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ahhh - the dreaded double post!!!

Last edited by Baby Jake's Mom; 02-08-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Baby Jake's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
Little Miss Kate
Registered Users
Formerly: JAMs Wife
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Jake's Mom View Post
I don't think I have oversupply or letdown issues. She is only fussy when she has to poop. Normally she is very happy. No nipple issues on my end either (other than vaso spasms - ouch!!)

The more I read the more I am thinking it could be the milk in my diet. Maybe I will try cutting it out and see what happens.
sounds like like my DS - hehard a poor latch (shallow, clicking) until he grew a bit and his mouth was bigger
Have you tried a nipple shield - it took a liitle bit to get used to but helped the latch and my pinched nipples.

try taking B6 for the vaso spasms - recommended by my LC, helped for me

My BLOG - Check out the Giveaways going on now!!!
Little Miss Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #10
mom2ally06
Registered Users
seller

your sore nipples are likely because of the tongue flicking them. you need to create a ridge with the breast while nursing, pull the breast tissue back toward your ribs making a __0__ with the breast, leaving the nipple and areola to grab onto. Try the football hold instead of the craddle hold, and also laid back nursing where you slide your bum out so that he can grab more tissue. I'd cut out the milk as well. gl!