Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #11
Baby Jake's Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nursing problems - help!

Thanks!

We do have a better latch when we use the football hold. So I will keep doing that.
Any links for cutting out milk (like other names for milk, substitutions, things like that?)

Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #12
mom2ally06
Registered Users
seller

i think kellymom does, sorry i dont have a link atm
Old 02-09-2011, 12:43 AM   #13
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sorry you are having some problems. I would suggest that you spend a good chunk of time with your next LC. Is your daughter getting a nice deep latch when she starts and then coming off as she nurses or is her latch not good from the beginning. I would suggest the football hold as well because this makes it easier to see if both her upper and lower lips through the course of a feeding. I would actually unlatch and latch again with a corrected latch if see that she has slipped off and is nipple sucking. Are you supported enough? You might need to go back to the pile of pillows until this latch issue is sorted out. Keep her well supported will make it less likely that you are letting gravity pull her lower on the nipple. With my youngest I would actually talk him through a latch. At times I would pull his lower lip down a bit for him to get his mouth wide enough. His poor latch is something that I had to work on around the clock for several days without doing much else. I would get up with every feeding and use a flashlight to see if his latch was correct during night feedings. He got it. Now he's a champ and can maintain a great latch even while trying to do a somersault in my lap. Good luck.

Resources:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/bas...resources.html

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #14
percussionsmith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just want to say good job mama for getting help, trusting yourself and working so hard. The most important thing in the world is your love for your child. Good Job! I hope you find the answers you need. Peace.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #15
Baby Jake's Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OK so talking with other moms at one of the mommy groups in town - it sounds like it isn't a milk protein allergy. They were thinking foremilk/hindmilk imbalance for the poop problems. The lady with many kids suggested the feeding from one breast for 2 hours before switching to the other side. We never got to discuss the latch issues.

She latches really shallow from the beginning (I have trouble getting her to open her mouth) we do use a stack of pillows to nurse so that does help (I have long boobs - lol - so I don't have to have her too high up). Any suggestions for getting her to open her mouth more? I try 'tickling' her lips and place my nipple at her top lip pointing to her nose so that I can use the bottom of my breast to help open her mouth more and get more of the breast in but she really resists it. Suggestions??