Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
Tiny Trousers
Registered Users
Formerly: Knits4Noah
seller
seller

My Mood:
How far is too far?

My husband and I are thinking about having another child (yay!) and we moved since we had our first, so my amazing midwives are 2 hours away from me. I am in an area with no midwives, and I was not super impressed with the hospital I went to when a friend had her baby (that's not to say there aren't amazing nurses there, I even know one and she's great). I don't have an obgyn here, so I will be having to find someone new who probably won't even be the one delivering me.

Is it the stupidest thing to want to use my midwives who are 2 hours away? I delivered my son 2 weeks late. Labor started at 3am, and I didn't have him until 5:20pm... after being given an epi and pit and noon. I actually should have stayed home a while longer. Also, I am trying to conceive so we deliver in the late Spring so I wouldn't have to worry about there being some snow storm like we have been having so often lately here in TX.

What do you think? I am so scared to think of getting an ob that I don't like and then having a complete stranger to deliver the baby, kwim?

Advertisement

Tiny Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How far is too far?

If you and hubby are comfortable with the two hour distance and your midwives are also agreeable to it, I see no reason why you shouldn't use them again. If my midwife weren't EIGHT hours away and it had been possible to use her again, I certainly would. I miss her.
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My midwives were an hour away, two doesn't seem like a stretch to me.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
stayinhomewithmy6
Registered Users
Formerly: stayinhomewithmy5
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't hesitate to use them again if they think it's okay. My previous midwife thought our 1 1/2 hr distance was okay and 2 hrs isn't much more than that. I ended up finding a midwife that was much closer and that I liked much better, though. Are you looking for a hospital midwife or a homebirth midwife?
stayinhomewithmy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
girlichick
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't, only because 2 hours in the car in the third trimester was miserable for me :P but maybe that was b/c I was going to see my in-laws, not my midwife!!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
Tiny Trousers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The midwives I used before were all employed by the hospital (a brand new hospital at the time) and I felt comfortable with that combo. There were 4 midwives and 1 was always at the hospital. I was able to see all of them during our stay there and that was such a blessing.

I am not a high risk pregnancy at all and my in-laws as well as both my brothers and their families live 30 minutes from that hospital. I could possibly stay at my mother in law's house when I feel it is close (we are blessed to really get along with both sides of our families) and there is enough room at their house for my son to have a room while we wait at the very end. I sent a facebook message to one of the midwives to see what she thought of the idea. Thanks ladies, your positive responses are really encouraging!!!

Old 02-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
mommakittie
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ok so I am here in Utah and in Wyoming midwifery is not legal (or wasn't in 2009) , so people from WY would come down here to see a midwife and then stay in a hotel during their births. So 2 hrs seems fine to me. I would say its up to you and the midwife and the safety of the pregnancy.
mommakittie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
Tiny Trousers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Midwifery isn't legal there? That's wild... even in a hospital? My midwives have their masters in nursing and then have additional training in midwifery. I am so glad it is legal here