Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

Baby's position - your best guess

Among other frustrations at my prenatal appt today, she wasn't sure what position baby was in. At 29 weeks, baby was head down, she was sure (different MW). I mentioned that I thought at times baby had dropped, but then other times, I didn't think so... she said that was totally possible and normal for a second pregnancy at this stage (32 weeks).

So... what do you think?
- I feel a definate bump (head or bum) at the top of my belly, more to the left (my left)
- I feel action at the top and bottom, but the stronger is at the top (but more frequent at the bottom?)
- I feel hiccups lower than higher... into my crotch almost (ugh)

Ideas?!

TIA!!

Advertisement

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
Sabra
Registered Users

Re: Baby's position - your best guess

This is a really good article that will allow you to figure out how your baby is lying:
http://www.spinningbabies.com/baby-p.../belly-mapping

Kicks from feet are stronger than taps from hands, so that you feel stronger movement up top is a good indication your baby is indeed head down. You may well be able to grab and wiggle the baby's butt at this point in your pregnancy--I could by 32 weeks and I was about 220lbs. The butt is a little bit broader than the head (plus I was never able to grab 'hold of the head in my breech babies). Also, there's a better chance of being able to see kicks over taps--if you've got that broad, grabbable lump at the top and you can see your tummy bounce, you know where the baby is.

At this point, I have had two footling breech babies and two vertex (head-down) babies. They really do not feel the same. I don't know how to explain it, but if your son was born the normal way and this feels much the same, you're good to go. I'll go with mother's intuition over health care provider's palpation any day; this is due to being repeatedly assured my footling-breech eldest child was head down. (I felt her flip from breech to vertex and then back. Something about when a baby goes sideways...) A foot in the cervix feels exactly like a foot in the cervix.

Last edited by Sabra; 02-08-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Sabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
mamamegan841
Registered Users
seller

Sounds to me like baby could very well be head-down. Those stronger movements are probably kicks, rather than punches. Good luck!
mamamegan841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
KandFsMomma
Registered Users
Formerly: keirinsmomma
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamegan841 View Post
Sounds to me like baby could very well be head-down. Those stronger movements are probably kicks, rather than punches. Good luck!
Agreed. My tiny one is head down, has been since about 27 weeks and dropped around 30 weeks, head is REALLY low. (My second pregnancy as well.)
I feel hiccups in my butt/ lower back and little hands by my hip bones.
And feet/knees up high. He/She usually keeps his/her back on my left side and I can feel a little butt up high.

Good Luck Momma! Sound a lot like what I'm experiencing, and I would def guess head down!
Old 02-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #5
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabra View Post
This is a really good article that will allow you to figure out how your baby is lying:
http://www.spinningbabies.com/baby-p.../belly-mapping

Kicks from feet are stronger than taps from hands, so that you feel stronger movement up top is a good indication your baby is indeed head down. You may well be able to grab and wiggle the baby's butt at this point in your pregnancy--I could by 32 weeks and I was about 220lbs. The butt is a little bit broader than the head (plus I was never able to grab 'hold of the head in my breech babies). Also, there's a better chance of being able to see kicks over taps--if you've got that broad, grabbable lump at the top and you can see your tummy bounce, you know where the baby is.

At this point, I have had two footling breech babies and two vertex (head-down) babies. They really do not feel the same. I don't know how to explain it, but if your son was born the normal way and this feels much the same, you're good to go. I'll go with mother's intuition over health care provider's palpation any day; this is due to being repeatedly assured my footling-breech eldest child was head down. (I felt her flip from breech to vertex and then back. Something about when a baby goes sideways...) A foot in the cervix feels exactly like a foot in the cervix.
I had a provider tell me it was impossible to feel the cervix once. Not sure how that works, because you're right. There's nothing else to explain that, or the hiccup jolts to the cervix either

And I agree, it definitely sounds like head down!
Like my Facebook! Etsy
Scaethach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sounds almost identical to what I have going on here! Kicks are all in my right side. If you wiggle the top bump, does the whole baby move with it? That would be the butt, if only that little bit moves then its the head.
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like head down to me. Maybe posterior, if the lower action you're feeling is the baby's hands. When my DS was head down, his hiccups were really low too. Your kiddo may very well have dropped if the hiccups are almost in your crotch. I also felt DS's feet kind of low to my side once in awhile--I swear he kicked my hips sometimes. So that could be your lower feeling also.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #8
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like posterior. DS was posterior basically my entire pregnancy and turned right before labor. I had the same sensations in the same spot. HTH