Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
meganne79
Registered Users
seller

Pulse while pregnant?

Hi mamas,
Would some of you mind telling me what your pulse is while you are pregnant? Mine has consistently been elevated this pregnancy and my MW hasn't mentioned it but my PCP is freaking out a bit. My blood pressure is fine 128/82 today (a bit high for me but I'm sick too) but my pulse was 125-145 today when I went to the PCP. I have been sick this week but prior to this week I was at the PCP twice and it was about 125. I feel like it is racing all the time. My PCP wants to run a bunch of tests. Before I do them I thought I'd see what others are.

Thanks!

Advertisement

RN/CNM Student/SAHM to Maggie 03-23-06,
Nora 04-06-09, and Ben 05-03-11
meganne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Pulse while pregnant?

Could this be related to your thyroid problems?? Did you have tests done for that yet??

Mine stays normal when pregnant, 60's or so.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
meganne79
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
Could this be related to your thyroid problems?? Did you have tests done for that yet??

Mine stays normal when pregnant, 60's or so.
That is why the PCP is freaking out a bit. I did have my tests done, and my T4 is low (indicating hypothyroid) but my TSH is also low (possible pituitary issue). The endocrinologist wanted to redraw my labs late this week before deciding what to do as they can neither test for nor treat a pituitary problem in pregnancy. The PCP mentioned thyroid storm but I'm hypo not hyper and would likely be unconscious in the ER if that were the case. And it wouldn't have been going on for a few weeks.

Thanks a bunch mama! Your pulse in the 60s makes it clear why the doc is concerned! I've never paid attention before, just noticed it felt fast this pregnancy and then my PCP started mentioning it when I went there. When I'm not pregnant I'm closer to 70ish.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
Kbunz14
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had high BP last time throughout my pregnancy and it was always between 90-120 (heartrate that is) this time my BP is normal, and my HR stays between 80-100. It just depends. I expect my HR to go up with pregnancy (mostly because of what happened with my first) and my OB has never really worried until my BP turned pre-e. (that was in the last week or so of pregnancy though)
Old 02-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
miraclebaby
Registered Users
seller

Here is from Merck
"Heart and Blood Flow: During pregnancy, the woman's heart must work harder because as the fetus grows, the heart must pump more blood to the uterus. By the end of pregnancy, the uterus is receiving one fifth of the woman's prepregnancy blood supply. During pregnancy, the amount of blood pumped by the heart (cardiac output) increases by 30 to 50%. As cardiac output increases, the heart rate at rest speeds up from a normal prepregnancy rate of about 70 beats per minute to 80 or 90 beats per minute. During exercise, cardiac output and heart rate increase more when a woman is pregnant than when she is not. During labor, cardiac output increases by an additional 10%. After delivery, cardiac output decreases rapidly at first, then more slowly. It returns to the prepregnancy level about 6 weeks after delivery.

Certain heart murmurs and irregularities in heart rhythm may appear because the heart is working harder. Sometimes a pregnant woman may feel these irregularities. Such changes are normal during pregnancy. However, other abnormal heart sounds and rhythms (for example, diastolic murmurs and tachyarrythmias), which occur more often in pregnant women, may require treatment."

Join me swagging http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/stephlawler
miraclebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
meganne79
Registered Users
seller

It is just strange because in labor with YDD my pulse was in the 120s and they immediately put me on an EKG to monitor me because it was so high. We just assumed it was anxiety because I nearly didn't survive ODD's delivery and was a bit freaked about a repeat. But that was in active labor.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #7
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mine goes higher but I have a slight heart murmur. It has never been a major problem so don't let them get you too excited.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
cecegabor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both times being pregnant (and right now) my heart-rate is faster..some nights it was very tachycardic like 130's..but it would slow down eventually. If it is something that just happens when you are pregnant I would think unless it is causing you other problems you should be fine...chances are it will be normal again when you are not pregnant. A normal pulse is 60-120..unless you are having other issues it is just considered sinus tachycardia... PCP's like to freak out...he is probably erring on the side of being cautious which is fine..but I bet your heart rate went up even more because of his alarm/concern. It is probably nothing..good for them to run other tests to be sure ;o) (this is a CCU RN talking)
Old 02-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #9
cecegabor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also.. dehydration and/or electrolyte imbalance can cause heart disturbances.. I'm sure you are drinking lots but just in case ;o)
Old 02-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #10
Loveme2x
Registered Users

My Mood:

Is it a possible "white coat syndrome" sort of thing, like PP mentioned - your HR will obviously go up with a little stress. Can you try taking your pulse at home at various times - at rest, during activity, when stressed, etc. Take a few at different times and on different days for each situation to try to figure out an average for each situation. You may find that you get a different number than the PCP and MW, and you may also find that you can explain when it's elevated because you know you were active or under stress when you took it. GL!
.married to my BFF (9/05).
cautiously with #2 (7/1/11)
Loveme2x is offline   Reply With Quote