Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
BabyD'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Puking/spitting up...at what point do you have it evaluated?

I'm pretty sure my 3 wk old DS is just a happy spitter and that it is really nothing more than a laundry (and smelly puke) issue, but I was wondering at what point I should have it looked at? He doesn't puke all the time. He spits up after eating most times. The nights are the worst and he will frequently have large amounts of spit-up (what I would consider puke). He has projectiled like 3x. I feel so bad for him, but he doesn't cry like he is in pain and doesn't have any other symptoms that I've noticed. I'm tandem nursing so maybe he is just getting too much, too fast since I'm producing a lot I read on kellymom and it doesn't seem like something I'm eating, but maybe it would be worth it for me to change my diet for a while I'm trying to sit him up for a while after our night feedings, but it doesn't seem to help much and it is super hard to do when I'm half asleep. Tonight I'm going to sleep with us sitting up in the bed using some pillows (we co-sleep). Any other suggestions/advice?

Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Puking/spitting up...at what point do you have it evaluated?

My DS did that a lot too. He was never uncomfortable and didnt seem to mind. Was gaining weight and seemed happy so I never had it addressed. He eventually grew out of it. My neighbor had the same issue her DD was a happy spitter but she changed her diet. Took out wheat and eggs and it worked like a charm! Hope that help mama
Old 02-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had 2 happy spitters. As long as baby is gaining weight and seems happy no need to worry. My ODD projectile vomited after every feed for months but she gained a pound a week and was mellow as can be. The laundry situation was a MAJOR bummer but she out grew it around the time she could sit up by herself. Good luck!
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:11 AM   #4
schellebo
Registered Users
seller

I had a happy spitter too. He even projectiled. In his case, it turned out to be food allergies, but even so his spitting stopped before we knew about the allergies and he began reacting with eczema. We never got him looked at because he was gaining weight fine.
schellebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #5
jjordan30
Registered Users
seller

It's pretty normal at that age for most babies. I know the projectile vomiting thing scared me the first time my LO did it. In my case it was because I had an oversupply and overactive letdown that was attributing to it. She gained weight fine and never seemed to be in pain. Over a month or two she became used to my letdown and now very rarely spits up. We spent many a night with her upright in my arms when she was little too Oh.. and remember to burp really well.
jjordan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
turtledance
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had two happy spitters too. My DD would projectile too. Like WAY out there! It kinda scared me, but she never was bothered by it and was gaining weight just fine. My doctor wasn't concerned. Both kids did eventually outgrow it.

Momma to my crazy little Snuggle Muttin (6-8-07)
and my sweet Cuddle Bug (2-13-10)
turtledance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
Ehlane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Same as PP. My DS spit up a LOT for the first few months, after almost every feed and in between. Around 4 months it got better, but he's 9mo now and he still spits up a few times a day. Nothing as major as when he was itty-bitty, but I'm still waiting for him to outgrow it completely.

My LC told me it was probably not a reflux problem, and was just a laundry problem.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
Ehlane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Same as PP. My DS spit up a LOT for the first few months, after almost every feed and in between. Around 4 months it got better, but he's 9mo now and he still spits up a few times a day. Nothing as major as when he was itty-bitty, but I'm still waiting for him to outgrow it completely.

My LC told me it was probably not a reflux problem, and was just a laundry problem.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
Chagen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My two oldest children did the same thing. I found it helpful to pop them off during my letdown (I have a forceful let down) catch it in a towel or cup (to save) and then re latch. This helped them a lot.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
Poox2
Registered Users
seller

My boy has this problem too, still at 5 months he spits up 3x after almost every feeding, his twin sister is smaller and almost never spits up. My doctor said he probably has some reflux issues, but he is gaining weight and doesn't get too bothered by it so we are not medicating him. He also said after he starts on solids it might get better. I bet yours does have to do with the tandom feedings.
Poox2 is offline   Reply With Quote