Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2011, 06:35 AM   #1
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

Lines getting fainter on HPT, any hope?...guess not.

I've taken a FRER test with FMU for 3 days straight. First day it was faint and it's getting fainter everyday. Today it was barely visible.
I had implantation spotting on 12dpo (which from what I've read is pretty late) and the light tests have been 15-17dpo. I track my cycles and my temps are going down as well. I m/c 4 years ago and had faint + that cycle. So I'm just worried this will end in m/c as well.

I'm wondering if it's worth it to go to the doc to get a blood test. I'm afraid when I pee on their stick it will show negative, and I'll feel like an idiot and not get a blood test. I feel like I should wait it out, but can't stand the anxiety of the unknown. Any advice?

Advertisement

Last edited by myblessedbaby; 02-11-2011 at 04:01 PM.
myblessedbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Lines getting fainter on HPT, any hope?

Kate, I really don't want to tell you this, but if your tests are consistently getting fainter and the line is literally disappearing, it is probably not going to end well. I have been through exactly what you are going through. I watched my test line get darker and darker for about 5 days and then watched it get lighter and lighter for about 5 days and disappear and then I m/c'd. I did get my hCG numbers. I do IVF. So, we knew I was pregnant and were testing me anyway. But, I have also been able to just call my OB/midwife and ask them to order a beta hCG test over the phone without going in. Make sure you ask for a quantitative, not qualitative. You want the actual number, not just positive or negative. It will detect very low numbers. So, if you are still seeing a line, you should get a low beta number. Then, if you want, ask them to do another in 48hrs. That is what will tell you exactly what is happening for sure. If everything is fine, it will go up, probably double, but not necessarily. If it's going the way it sounds like it is, the number will go down. Either way, you won't be waiting. You will know. For me, the anxiety of not knowing is horrible. I really can't stand it. I would rather know the truth, whatever it is, than not know. Not everyone is like that, but it really bothers me not knowing. I am so sorry you are going through this. I will say a quick prayer for you and your family.

ETA - If your hCG is going down and you want blood confirmation of what is going on, do it ASAP. If you wait, you might not be able to confirm it.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 02-10-2011 at 07:15 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

Thanks for your honesty Heather. Those are really my feelings as well. The anxiety of it all is what's getting me. I'd rather just know. When I got my first positive, I thought, I'll just wait till next week to go to the doc, by then my test will be darker. But with the successive lighter tests, I don't think I'm gonna get to the dark test point.
I decided to go ahead and make an appt for this afternoon. My doc has always sent me for quantitative betas in 48 hr increments since I've got a history of m/c and IF. So I assume we'll do the same this time. My betas with my first m/c weren't great, so I've got some idea of what to expect.
I really thought my first m/c would be my one and only, such a devastating experience. Though I am encouraged that I was able to get pregnant relatively quickly as this is my 2nd cycle since DD was born, AF didn't return until she was 14 months old.
If I do m/c I hope it doesn't happen over the weekend. My b-day is Sunday and that would totally suck!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad you made an appt. I think no matter what happens, it will be good to have confirmation. Plus, this way, you will feel like you are doing something and aren't just waiting in limbo. I'm praying for you that everything is just fine. I have only had one confirmed m/c. I really never expected it. No one in my family has ever had one (that I am aware of). It was like I was totally blind-sided. It was devastating. Until you have gone through it, you really can't understand. Let me know how it goes at the dr. today. You will probably get your numbers tomorrow, I would think. If you need to talk, I'm around.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

Saw the doc. They did a pee-stick, which was negative. I expected that and told him about my HPT's. He has a wonderful beside manner and talked to me a bit about getting bloodwork to see where we are. I got a progesterone and a quantative beta. I'll call the office tomorrow afternoon to get the results. If it shows anything above 5, I'll go back Monday for more bloodwork. Even if this pregnancy isn't viable, having medical proof that I was actually pregnant is comforting somehow.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
Ten
Registered Users

My Mood:

And I agree - sometimes it's just nice to have the scientific community not dismiss what we know is real. I hope you can find some comfort, whatever the outcome, and I'm glad you have a wonderful doc to be with you through this.

*TTC a sticky baby since Jan '15. Hoping DD1 returns to us!*
"Death can't stop True Love - it can only delay it for a while." - The Princess Bride
Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry it was negative. I agree that having that confirmation is really helpful for closure. Update us when you can.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

so sorry mama. I had this happen to me, and I knew it was over before even going to the doc. By the time I got in, my pee test in the office was neg., and my hcg numbers were really low, and then the second draw was back to 5. Like you said, I was glad to have the doctors confirmation that I really was pregnant even though there was nothing we could do at that point.
so sorry you are dealing with this.
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

Re: Lines getting fainter on HPT, any hope?...guess not.

Blood work came back at 3, progesterone at 0.9 Started spotting this afternoon. Guess my Hcg only got high enough for a faint positive on Tues and started dropping after that. Not enough left at the time of blood draw to show a pregnancy. If I wasn't charting and aware of my body, I'd probably have never known to even take a test. Even if other people don't know I was pregnant, I do. And that means something to me.
Thanks for your thoughts and prayers ladies.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Lines getting fainter on HPT, any hope?...guess not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblessedbaby View Post
Blood work came back at 3, progesterone at 0.9 Started spotting this afternoon. Guess my Hcg only got high enough for a faint positive on Tues and started dropping after that. Not enough left at the time of blood draw to show a pregnancy. If I wasn't charting and aware of my body, I'd probably have never known to even take a test. Even if other people don't know I was pregnant, I do. And that means something to me.
Thanks for your thoughts and prayers ladies.
Absolutely! It does mean something. Please don't let anyone make you feel like it's no big deal or should be glossed over. Allow yourself to grieve. I am so sorry for your loss.