Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #11
bodiejake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: RSV Vaccine

glad to hear. Having had a full term baby get RSV at 2 months old, I would HIGHLY suggest this one. It was awful. She is 2 now and is still suffering issues from having that mess. We have had multiple colds/ear infections/and are now on our 3rd round of strep in a month. I was told to expect more issues until she turns 3. At that point, she should finally start to outgrow it.

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #12
momma4of6
Registered Users
seller

From state to state is vaires. My allmost 29 weeker, barely qualified in my state... In order to qualify here he had to be under 3 lb at birth (he was), be born before 32 weeks (he was) and have lung issues... He was born with critical lungs, but by the time we were discharged he didnt have critical lungs anymore. However the dr was able to state that he was born with critical lung disease there fore technically still has it, and thats the only way we ended up fully qualifing..
Old 02-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #13
momma4of6
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docs Wife View Post
Just thought I would update, he had his well baby appt today. He will be getting the RSV vaccine. She said after talking to someone and thinking about what we said about DH being at the hospital so much that she agrees that he would benafit from it.
so glad to hear!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #14
ChelseaGirl7
Registered Users

I know this is a little late, but I wanted to add that I would make sure that your lo is getting the shots through april if at all possible. My dd, who was a 31 weeker got the rsv shots her entire first winter but they stopped in march and she got rsv in april, we had a late rsv season that year. They can actually catch rsv easier if they stop the shots to early.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:19 AM   #15
vmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaGirl7 View Post
I know this is a little late, but I wanted to add that I would make sure that your lo is getting the shots through april if at all possible. My dd, who was a 31 weeker got the rsv shots her entire first winter but they stopped in march and she got rsv in april, we had a late rsv season that year. They can actually catch rsv easier if they stop the shots to early.
My 25 weeker had the RSV immunoglobulin from October to April last year. This year, Medicaid cut it down to only 5 injections She started in November this year and her last shot will be in March. I will keep her out of the public throughout April.

I don't understand why it would be easier to catch RSV after they get the shots. Physiologically, it doesn't make sense. It's simply a virus like any other and it doesn't discriminate. Can you explain that further? Thanks
Old 03-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #16
ChelseaGirl7
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmomma View Post
My 25 weeker had the RSV immunoglobulin from October to April last year. This year, Medicaid cut it down to only 5 injections She started in November this year and her last shot will be in March. I will keep her out of the public throughout April.

I don't understand why it would be easier to catch RSV after they get the shots. Physiologically, it doesn't make sense. It's simply a virus like any other and it doesn't discriminate. Can you explain that further? Thanks

Basically, the RSV shots are not a vaccine, they put anti-BODIES into the childs immune system, and after 30 days or so are up, the antibodies breakdown. This is why they have to give the shots on a monthly basis. But because of the antibodies, the babies immune system cannot build up any resistance at all to the virus, so when the last of the antibodies are gone if the child has any exposure to the virus they are more likely to get it. This is my understanding from the information book that we where given by the nurse that did dd shots. The book clearly stated that if the shots are stopped before the end of the rsv season that the child is more likely to get the virus. Maybe rsv season doesn't last as long in your area.
obviously most kids who get the shots do not get rsv afterwords. I think ours was an unlucky combination of circumstances. I also think that she must have ben exposed within a few days of when the antibodies ran out since she got sick less than a week after they would have given her the next shot. And honestly rsv season usually is at it's worst in our area from feb-march, we just happened to have a particularly late season that year.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:17 AM   #17
DocsNemesis
Registered Users
seller
seller

My ds didn't qualify because he wasn't born before 32 weeks. Insurance said 32 weeks or earlier, ok, after 32 weeks, nope. So, he didn't get the vax. He also got RSV at about 6 months old, but it wasn't a big deal for us, thankfully.

www.Hyenacart.com/Naked for dyed tee's, flats, yarn, and soon, bamboo prefolds! Stocking 7/20!
DocsNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #18
DTheyssen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a NICU nurse and your child should definitely get the RSV shot!! He qualifies for it due to his age. You can get RSV anywhere, not just in daycare. You FOR SURE NEED TO GET THIS VACCINE!! RSV is no joke!
DTheyssen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #19
mommytotriplets
Registered Users
seller

My 33 week 5 day triplets were denied the Vaccine as well. I fought and eventually lost, not sure why they felt they did not need it but they have been doing well so thank goodness for that. =)
mommytotriplets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #20
brimo
Registered Users
seller

So happy to hear he was able to get the vaccine.
brimo is offline   Reply With Quote