Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #11
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: breadmaker for 100% whole wheat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJules View Post
How do you slice your homemade whole wheat bread? I've tried a few times, and it is just so crumbly. I either have to slice it in huge pieces (which is way to big for a sandwich) or if I slice it thinner I end up wasting half the loaf because it turns to crumbs.
I have both an electric knife...which is the best and a serrated bread knife that has a long, narrow, serrated blade on it. Cut with a gentle sawing motion and perfect(ish) bread every time. A regular chopping knife just doesn't cut bread well, you've got to have serrated.

Advertisement

lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a Breadman Ultimate Plus (model TR2500BC).

I also wanted to add that I never bake mine in the breadmaker, I just use the dough setting and then rise and bake in the oven.

Someone else on this forum posted an awesome bread recipe a while back. I'd type it out but I hate typing long things on the ipad and my kids are on the computers doing school work. Maybe later. You can probably find it searching this forum for the words "bread" and "potato flakes"
I've been able to get great bread applying the "rules" from that recipe to other recipes.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok, post #31 in this thread is a great recipe that can be tweaked for any recipe using the "rules". I use less vital wheat gluten and it still comes out great.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...+flakes&page=2
Old 02-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #14
cassieJJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Honestly I really hated the texture of the bread out of our bread maker so we donated it. The hillbilly housewife whole wheat bread recipe is a good one.

For cutting I've never had a problem with a regular bread knife? Is your homemade bread too dry?