Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
army_princess
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
blocked ducts...

I am pregnant again and my DD is still nursing on demand(which is all the time in the day and 3-5 times at night....) Well this caused my milk to come back in and now I have blocked ducts in my right side. I had issues with over supply up until she was 8-9 months old, My supply did not regulate until after that...

Well even with me trying to nurse it out it is not helping and I am in pain. She does nurse out most of the lumps but not all, and the longer I go nursing on one side, I notice the left side is starting to get lumps and hurt...

I really don't want to start pumping this early on in pregnancy. Does anyone have tips?

(I got mastitis 2 times when DD was a baby from my over supply issues)

Advertisement

army_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
acwakip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: blocked ducts...

I have had mastitis twice since DS was born 7 weeks ago. One thing that helped me was hot showers with the water beating down on the affected breast. I had heard to use a comb to comb the skin where you can feel the lump. I did this and I am not sure if it necessarily helped but it sure did ease the pain quite a bit. I would usually follow the shower by pumping and I know you don't want to if you don't have to. I hope you get some relief soon!
acwakip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I second hot showers and massaging the area. Are you wearing constricting/underwire bras? I know some people are very sensitive to underwire and get clogged ducts easily. Do you have let down on the opposite side when your DD nurses, if so maybe hand expressing to let some of the pressure off.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
army_princess
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have not had let down in months and months....(nothing I could tell anyways) My bras are not tight, and most the time I do not wear them, since I stay at home most the time.

I will try some more hot showers. I will order some milk bags so I can store the milk, I think I only have one left. I will pump if it gets worse and use the last bag until the other bags and bottles until the new bags get here.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #5
jennybean
Registered Users

Working the lumps/clogs out in the hot shower always worked for me! I would massage the crap out of it, but I never ended up with mastitis, Thank Goodness!!
jennybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
Aydinsmom
Registered Users
seller

You can also try taking lecithin to thin out your milk so that it is less likely to clog. I was EPing before I got my baby back to breast. Taking lectthin was the only way that I could avoid clogs and mastitis when I was pumping 2 to 3 times a day - it made all the difference. I even think that it helped me to get my son back to breast - his suck previously wasn't strong enough to get past the initial stream of milk, but now he can do it. I'm sure he was better because he is older and stronger, but it seems pretty coincidental that he went back to breast as soon as I started taking lecithin.

You can get it a GNC or other vitamin stores. I take 4 capsules of 1200 mg daily. From what I read, it does not affect the nutritional value of your milk, just thins it out, but my source is only the internet and not a lactation consultant. You might want to ask one before starting, but it is an idea.

Last edited by Aydinsmom; 02-12-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Aydinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
BabyD'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

I am nursing my 19.5 month old and my one month old. Yesterday I had a clogged duct and was pretty sure I was headed toward mastitis. I ate 4 cloves garlic for the natural antibiotic properties, took 3000mg vit c, used hot/cold compresses, massaged the breast a lot, made sure both kids were draining that breast, didn't wear a bra, and rested. Not sure about using these treatments during pregnancy, but they surely did make me feel better.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:31 AM   #8
alix
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had bad engorgement and was told to put cold cabbage leaves in my bra on top of my breasts and It did help with the pain. My breasts were very hot, though, so I had to change them often because they wilted and heated up.
alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
army_princess
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

this has been mostly resolved, it acts up now and then when she is ill/allergies and nurses a lot.

Right now I am having pain like my ducts are starting to block because they are getting over full from non stop nursing(triggering my body to make WAY more milk than I need to) DD is cranky, and sick....allergens here are HIGH and everyone is sick.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
army_princess
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

double post....

Last edited by army_princess; 03-15-2011 at 12:43 PM.