Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
Registered Users
Un-weaning a toddler?

I know many might think I'm nuts for considering this, but I've just started to consider asking my 3.5yo if she would like to nurse.

A little backstory (sorry so long)...
DD was a nursing champ and loved to nurse. I had fully planned on her nursing through my pregnancy w/ DS and then tandem nursing the 2 of them. But it didn't go as smoothly as I had about 7 months into the pregnancy it was driving me nuts to nurse her but I let her keep going even though sometimes i could only handle it for 30 sec at a time. My hope was that it would be better after the baby came. And it was didn't hurt and I didn't get the "heebee-geebees" any more when she nursed, BUT she wanted to nurse all the time. I couldn't take all the crying and arguing about why she couldn't nurse constantly and her throwing fits every time I told her she had to be done for now. So with a little coersion, I finally got her to agree that she was ready to wean. We had a big party and everything and she was very upbeat and happy about it...until it really sank in what she had agreed to. I can still hear her sad little voice in my head when I told her she couldn't nurse that night "but I don't want to be a big girl". But at that point, I was spent and I just couldn't do it any longer so I stuck to my guns and after a few weeks she was okay. (I was letting her have expressed milk in a "special" cup, just none straight from mommy).It's now been almost a year since the last time she nursed.

Anyway, so lately I've been thinking about her behavior and started thinking back to when it got worse (she was such a sweet little helpful thing for a while but has become a bit of a cranky stinker) and I really think it started after she weaned. I know it's possible that it's just a coincidence, but it makes sense that it would cause a change. So I started thinking, what if i let her nurse again? Then I found this article on mothering... that really seemed to hit home with me.

So, am I crazy to try it? I know often if you let a toddler try again, they can't remember how. and I realize she's already 3.5, but if nursing for the next 6 months to a year could help her attitute and our relationship, would it be worth it?

Thank you for reading all this!

Lisa -mother to ER (07/07), ET (10/09), EM (05/13) & wife to Carter
nalazimbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Un-weaning a toddler?

That article inspired me too. DD (now 26 mo) weaned herself at 13. My DS was born 5 mo ago. when he was 2 mo I dd asked to nurse. I would occasionally offer but she looked at me like I was crazy. One day she asked and latched on great. I now tandem nurse, and its helped our realtionship as well as her understanding the new babies role.
if you have any questions or need support just PM me!
-Emily, mommy to C (11/08) & C (09/10).
Hands behind Arcobaleno Baby
Babywearing in the DFW area? Check us out, Fort Worth Babywearers
Mama_scoutski is offline   Reply With Quote