Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
katieupnorth
Registered Users
seller

Location: near the Starbucks, and the Starbucks, and the Starbucks...
My Mood:
please help me not freak out

I have a terrible case of the flu. DH and dd both have it, too, but I'm twice as bad as they are. Saw the Dr. today, and she wants me on Tamiflu. I've taken the first dose, but I feel that this drug is just so damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I'm freaking out that the Tamiflu is going to harm the baby. Please come tell me your stories of people you know who took Tamiflu and went on to have perfectly healthy babies.

Or, I guess also you can tell me to stop taking it, too.

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: please help me not freak out

my dh got swine flu when I was pg with ds2. I took elderberry syrup(sambucol) and upped my vit d, vit c, and probiotics, and managed to avoid getting sick.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

SUCH a tough situation. We got a brief case of flu (or something) and we both threw up non-stop for a day (DS had to go with DH's parents!!). I feel your pain...

I don't think I can offer much comfort. I just 'suffer' through all this stuff, I don't do the drugs (except to treat UTIs). But if it's been deemed 'safe' for pregnancy, I'd have a good deal of confidence that baby will be just fine.

PS - I like your location

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
TotallyTutus
Registered Users
seller

Lots of luck. Scary stuff!!!!
TotallyTutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #5
smshook
Registered Users

I am pregnant (15 weeks) and 4 weeks ago had the flu and they put me on tamiflu also. Within 24hrs of taking the medication I was already starting to feel better. The risk of having the flu while being pregnant is dehydration and that could send you into early labor.
smshook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #6
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had flu this week, and my doc didn't offer the drug. TAKE IT!!! Seriously, I was shaking so hard from chills that it made the muscles in my leg cramp up and it was physically painful. I've NEVER had that before. It also caused contractions. My head is cracking in two, and there is so much green snot everywhere that I swear I'm going to end up on antibiotics for sinus infection by the time I'm done. I got a Neti pot, but other than that, all I have is pseudophedrine and tylenol, and it doesn't do jack. All of the coughing, sneezing, tossing and turning from my head/jaw/sinuses killing isn't good for the baby. And I didn't eat almost anything because all the mucous made me sick to my stomach. Also not good for baby.

I ended up missing 3 days of work because I couldn't get out of bed, and if we hadn't had a concert today during school, I would have taken today as well.

I wish I would have had Tamiflu to begin with.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller

http://www.suite101.com/content/flu-...gnancy-a155655

It sounds like over the last year/2 and the H1N1 scare that there were a substantial amount of positive outcomes with Tamiflu, plus the animal studies have given little evidence to support any potential problems (at high doses the mamas got sick from the meds before the fetuses did). It's a category C because it's unethical/illegal to do human studies on pregnant women so nothing gets classified otherwise until enough evidence comes in from accidental/emergency uses to give good information.

I was sick for 3 1/2 weeks, very very sick. The urgent care doctor I saw flat out told me they wouldn't even treat me because I was pregnant, I went home and cried. At 3 1/2 weeks when I got an underlying bacterial infection/bronchitis and my body showed no signs of improving, my OB stepped in and had to give me antibiotics for that infection, after which I FINALLY started to kick the flu. The fevers can be a risk too... I wouldn't stop taking it.
Like my Facebook! Etsy
Scaethach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:28 PM   #8
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Pregnant women are at greater risk of complications from the flu (hospitalization, dehydration), and if you get a high fever, that can definitely endanger baby.

I think since you are so sick, you should take it. It is probably better than the alternative.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had swine flu while 5 months pregnant with my 3rd in 2009, and they prescribed Tamiflu to me and were freaking out about the fact that I had the flu (I have type 1 diabetes as well) but I wouldn't take it. But that's just me. I went home and used other methods of fighting the flu (natural ones).

I hope you feel better very soon. The flu sucks, no doubt about that.