Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #11
iggyloo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vent: A little angry and a little hurt.

Don't let someone elses insecurities get to you. Feed your baby, and be proud that your secure enough with yourself and your baby to feed her however you want, and where ever you want!

Advertisement

Momma to Lily Grace Ryan 10/22/07 and Avaya Kai 10/30/10 Expecting #3 11/5/2014
iggyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #12
Crystalftw
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Her comment was way out of line.period. She is representing the church as the pastor's wife and needs to be more loving/gentle. "I don't want to look at that," is an awful thing to day, she is insulting God's perfect design, imho.
It's so sad how the Christian body suffers so greatly from "friendly fire," which hurts the most, imho.
<3-Crystal *Radically on fire for Christ!* Continually thanking the Lord for my Navy man & 5 children; my First-Born Son(7), my Surprise Pretty Girl 4/15/11, & my 3 in heaven. My blessed life!!Get the "swag" wag!
Crystalftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #13
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

That's terrible! I feel so fortunate that I and my nursing toddler are so welcomed at church. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE knows I nurse. I do it right in my seat and sometimes she is very noisy. Our priest even told me that I should never feel like I need to go elsewhere as it is very natural and if someone doesn't like it, then he or she can go elsewhere. That's really too bad the attitudes of some. And of course, her being the pastor's wife, she is a pillar of the church and other people will pick up on that too.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #14
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies. I knew you'd all understand, and I really needed to get that out.

What's funny.. is that my older two children have a speech therapist that comes into our home to do their therapy. He is a wonderful man (also a Christian) and his wife is very sweet. He's seen me nurse MANY a times while sitting across from me. He knows when that baby lays down in my arms, boob is coming out, and he just makes it a point to maintain eye contact, or look at one of the other children.

One time DS popped off VERY suddenly and I had very little time to react, and DID end up flashing him. I was a little embarrassed, but he took it in stride. I said "Oh, I'm so sorry, I hope your wife doesn't mind that I flashed you." and laughed. He got a huge laugh out of my comment and and said something about "That's fine, you're using them for what they were meant to be." Then we got into a discussion about the over-sexualization of breasts. And I have nursed the baby at his house many times. The first time I said "I'm going to nurse, is it ok if I do it in here, or would you like me to go into another room." Both he and his wife said "Oh no it's fine, nurse wherever you are comfortable."

So...funny how a man, who can normally be more uncomfortable than anyone about nursing.. is more ok with it than some women.

Anyway.... Thanks for the support. I feel a little better. When the baby was smaller, I did nurse him in the sling, or went into the nursery...at the stage where he needed alot of help getting on and was "floppy."

Anyway.. thanks.

Hugs and God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #15
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savmaralamommy View Post
That's terrible! I feel so fortunate that I and my nursing toddler are so welcomed at church. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE knows I nurse. I do it right in my seat and sometimes she is very noisy. Our priest even told me that I should never feel like I need to go elsewhere as it is very natural and if someone doesn't like it, then he or she can go elsewhere. That's really too bad the attitudes of some. And of course, her being the pastor's wife, she is a pillar of the church and other people will pick up on that too.
Thanks.

Our church is very small, and with the exception of the few children, my husband and I are the youngest people there. So maybe it's the age thing..

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Old 02-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #16
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleece Be With You View Post
Oh Michelle, that stinks!! Sounds like they are just ignorant, like a lot of people in our society. Unfortunately I have noticed the same thing in church circles, they are so profoundly affected by the sexualization of breasts in our society, that they even shun a normal breastfeeding relationship if the setting is public or semi-public. I know there are many people in my church who feel the same way, so if I am around them I make a more conscious effort to be modest so I am not a stumbling block to their personal sanctification. I don't use a cover either, but I know I can be modest without one. If they have a problem with it even when I'm covering everything, at that point I consider it their issue to deal with, not mine.

You would think a church that hosts a weekly breastfeeding meeting would be more understanding!
Thanks J. I appreciate it. I could understand their upset if I was completely immodest about it...but EVERYTHING was covered. I think it's just 'cause they are old. LOL That generation gap. KWIM?

God bless!

Old 02-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #17
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M View Post
Thanks.

Our church is very small, and with the exception of the few children, my husband and I are the youngest people there. So maybe it's the age thing..

God bless!
Yeah, ours is too. It's an episcopal church and we have very few close to my age as well. THere is one other family in their thirties and then it jumps to late fifties and up. But, I think it's just something that everyone is used to seeing and nobody seems to care. It helps that dd is the youngest member of the church and everyone just adores her!
Old 02-11-2011, 11:21 PM   #18
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savmaralamommy View Post
Yeah, ours is too. It's an episcopal church and we have very few close to my age as well. THere is one other family in their thirties and then it jumps to late fifties and up. But, I think it's just something that everyone is used to seeing and nobody seems to care. It helps that dd is the youngest member of the church and everyone just adores her!
Well it's awesome that your congregation is so comfortable with it

God bless!

Old 02-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #19
misscrazO
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They owe you an apology. You did nothing wrong. I would make it a point to talk to the pastor and his wife to see if this is going to be an issue. personally I would not feel comfortable or welcome if this happened and it would most likely make me not want to go to this church. Hope you get it resolved.
misscrazO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:10 AM   #20
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M View Post
Thanks.

God bless!
That could very well be the situation.

How do they think Jesus was feed?

You didn't do anything wrong!

I didn't nurse in public much, and I tried very hard to not let anyone see.

We were at Disney and LO had to nurse. We were too far away from the baby center...so I hopped on that Tomorrowland ride that you sit and go around the area (can't think of the name)

Anyway...it was perfect for nursing....except that at one point I was fully exposed as one car passed.
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote