Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2011, 01:07 AM   #1
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I need supply help please!

DS will be one week old tomorrow. My milk came in, but it doesn't seem to be enough. He's ALWAYS hungry. Sometimes he'll nurse and fall asleep and we're ok. Other times, he just can't get enough. He will nurse on both sides and get increasingly frustrated. We had to give him formula to top him off a couple times.
I don't want to have to give him formula anymore. What can I do to make sure I have enough milk? I am drinking Milkmaid tea, started drinking it at one day postpartum. Should I try pumping after he eats to increase supply?
DD nursed til 6 months and I lost my supply. I went back to work at 2 months and was never able to pump much. I really want to nurse DS past a year. PLease help me

eta~I have been taking cough medicine, do you think that is affecting my supply? I have been sick since before I gave birth, and the cough remains. I had a c-section, and everytime I cough, it feels like my stomach is being ripped apart. I'm still coughing (going on 2 wks now) but I'm trying not to take anything

etaa~I just checked kellymom. the active ingredient in the cough medicine I have is considered safe for breastfeeding

Advertisement

Last edited by corinne76; 02-12-2011 at 01:19 AM.
corinne76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:41 AM   #2
tiffanyghegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need supply help please!

I also had trouble with my supply. My doc suggested Fenugreek. Within 2 days I was full of milk. After a couple of days I stopped taking it. Every now and then I will take it and it helps everytime. Also eating Oatmeal, and from what I was told there is only 1 perscription med out there that is FDA approved to help with lactation, which is Reglan. I have heard Blessed Thistle works wonderfully for your supply. I do notice when I am sick my supply goes down, so maybe when your feeling better your supply will go back to normal. I hope this helped you out some. Relax when your pumping, don't keep watching the bottle fill while you are pumping, because you won't pump as much. Just try and relax. As long as your LO is maintaining and gaining weight he wil be fine. My daughter was the same way after a few weeks or a month she was over it. Be patient, and I wish you the best of luck. Hope I helped a little bit.

Last edited by tiffanyghegan; 02-12-2011 at 01:55 AM.
tiffanyghegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:08 AM   #3
momofcutebutts
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats on your newbie!!!
He is just a week old, so do not worry too much.
Let him regulate your milk supply - as soon as you start with pumping or formula, you will never produce the exact amount he has to have. And yes, all they seem to do is nursing at the beginning. Remember, their stomach has the size of their fist, so they can not take too much at once at the beginning.
Tea is good. Every kind of medicine is not. It goes into your milk and changes the taste - he gets that stuff, too!
Formula fills them up and makes them tired, but can not give them the antibodies for their immune system.
Try to stay relaxed, even if he is frustrated. If you do not have milk right now, it will come in half an hour later! Every baby is different. Just trust nature and know, that your baby eventually is able to regulate the supply.
Can you find a breastfeeding support group nearby? Or a la leche league group? They are very experienced in that and you get to know other mom, too, who might have similar problems.
It could be, that if you still run that cold, that your body is weaker, since it has to cure itself first. Eat good food! Drink a lot! Rest!
You will see, it probably just flows the next week.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:47 AM   #4
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I have had issues with my supply since day one, add in a bunch of crappy advice and we got to where we are now 2 months later working on relactation. But my supply has improved. I can tell you what I have done.

I found a midwife specializing in breastfeeding issues, but you could contact a lactation consultant or LLL in the states.

I got rid of the sheilds, which I was told on the hospital I could not nurse without due to flat nipples. Origionally I had the wrong size, so I went to the proper size and a few weeks later weened him from them.

I started feeding on one side for a goal of 20 minutes and pumping the other side.

Then I went to both sides, and the goal is still 20 minutes I pump the difference.

If he does make 20 minutes both side I pump an additional 3-5 minutes after feeding.

I drink a non alcoholic matlz beer every day and a half liter of breast feeding tea and also lots of water.

I went from just getting a few drops when pumping full time to getting 50 per side if he skips a meal and after each feeding I get between 10-15 per side.

My boy still needs formula, but it is an improvement. He is cutting back on the formula consumption himself now. And I am hoping as time progresses my milk will increase even further maybe someday getting him off the formula. I do not have dompiridone availible where I live so it was not an option for me.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
jennybean
Registered Users

Congrats on your new baby! I had supply issues with both of my babes, and tried everything to get the supply up but ultimately supplemented with both of them. The first thing I'd suggest is to see a Lactation consultant, they're very helpful!! Also keep yourself hydrated as you probably know. The cold might be keeping your supply low. Lastly, keep nursing!! The baby might be comfort nursing and just enjoy the "suckling". It's all about supply and demand, so the more he's on the breast, the more your body will make (as hard as that can be, especially with another child to care for!) Good luck and keep it up!!
jennybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

At only a week post partum, I bet it's a milk transfer issue rather than a supply issue. Have you seen an IBCLC or other lactation consultant? Can you call a LLL leader? If an LC sees him latch and watches you nurse, you can probably get some good advice.

For the first 2 weeks of my DD's life, she was very fussy and only wanted to nurse. She also wasn't really gaining much weight--she wasn't losing, but she wasn't really gaining, either, despite all that constant nursing. What I found out from having was that I just needed to make a small adjustment in the way I held her and she started to get more milk and became a normal baby who was satisfied and gaining weight. (In our case, it was just a matter of me holding her closer to me while she nursed so she could more effectively nurse.)
Old 02-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That can be normal for alot of newbies. He's trying to tell your body how much milk to make.

My first suggestion would be to nurse on demande. Let him nurse WHENEVER he wants for HOWEVER long he wants.

Secondly, contact La Leche Leauge or a lactaction consultant. It's possible that your baby is not latching correctly, or perhaps has a tongue tie.

When I needed supply help, I used Lactate Support. It has 5 different herbs. I needed do to double doses for it to work for me, but when we (LC and I) decided to up the dose, the results were almost immediate and amazing.

Right now, as far as supply goes, the worst thing you can do is suppliment. So as I said... Find an experienced, board certified Lactation Consultant.

Good luck mama.
Hugs
God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
Sillebille
Registered Users
seller

he is always hungry because sucking is life and his job to get the whole breastfeeding thing going. He knows he will need more milk every day so he is "telling" your breast "nice job, really yummy, but I need more next time!"

DO NOT supplement! The more he is sucking the more you will make. The less he is sucking cause he is not hungry, the less milk you are making...see where this goes??

In the first weeks, my DD was on my breast almost the whole afternoon. Drinking, sleeping, sucking, drinking, sleeping, ......every afternoon I was more or less attached to baby and couch. She is now 15 months, still like 95% breastfed and never saw a bottle with other than breastmilk.

TRUST your body. TRUST your baby.

And do not drink too much milk tea, because it can do the opposite.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you all for the advice. I will see if I can find a LC here I can talk to.

He did have a Dr appt on Wed and had gained since the hospital so I know he's eating. He's also peeing and pooping well. So he's getting something.
I just get frustrated at times because he nurses well, then he just seems to want more but he won't latch on. weird because he was just on you know? He kind of opens his mouth but won't close it around my nipple. Then he gets mad because he's still hungry. Maybe we just need to give it time and work on it.