Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2011, 02:08 AM   #1
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Strange thing happened at my 3hr

Ok, so you all know how the 3hr test works. You have to be fasting (although I have always technically been fasting since I always do my 1hr in the morning). They draw your blood. Then you drink the stuff. Then they draw after 1hr, 2hrs and 3hrs.

So, I go in this morning, they draw the fasting blood, and I drink the drink. It was disgusting, but so far so good. The first hour passes and I go back for the 1hr draw. Feeling great, then he puts the tourniquet on my arm and suddenly, not so great. No needle yet, just the band. I ask for some water, and they tell me no (politely, but still). They said it would negate the results because it would dilute the solution. I inform them I don't feel good and then hear the tech saying "whoa...are you ok??!" I was not, and proceeded to pass out. Luckily I was sitting, so didn't go anywhere and wasn't out for long. They had me lay down and did the draw and I was perfectly fine after that.

So, if you made it this far, wth??? I thought that LOW blood sugar caused black outs. Yet, I was there doing the 3hr test because of HIGH blood sugar. What gives??? My BP has always been normal too.

Insanely strange feeling btw...I had never before in my life passed out.

Advertisement

Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:18 AM   #2
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:
Re: Strange thing happened at my 3hr

Because you were fasting you probably became hypoglycemic and that is what caused the black-out. It is not uncommon for people with uncontrolled diabetes to experience hypoglycemic attacks as well as hyperglycemic attacks. You don't have to have GD to become hypoglycemic, just the fact that you were fasting was probably the culprit.

ETA: I totally know the feeling. I was chronically hypoglycemic as a teenager. I don't have diabetes of any sort, either.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
mich*mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Could have been hypoglycemia (although after fasting with 100g of oral glucose, I doubt it). I would imagine your BP was low - dehydrated maybe. Did you drink enough water the day before? Exercise much?
Old 02-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
watermelon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh wow, not a fun trip to the doctor .
Old 02-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

There is such a thing as reactive hypoglycemia where your body metabolizes the sugar too much. But I'd be more inclined to lean towards dehydration.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That happens a LOT with the 3 hr glucose test. I think that test is awful. Luckily I've never had to do it. I had a friend who was driving home from hers and she started seeing black spots and almost passed out driving. When she got home she called the doctor to tell them and they said, "Yeah, your glucose read came back at 40." WTF?! That's TOTALLY unsafe. IMO they should give you a snack before they let you leave or at least tell you to bring one.
NOT SAFE.
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
juliabell
Registered Users
seller
seller

Scary!! I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself passing out. I think the quick up and down of blood sugar could cause it. Like all of a sudden your body is digesting a bunch of sugars and just wreaks havoc on your system. It'll be interesting to see your results and what could have triggered that.
Wife to B. Mama to M (May 2011.) Expecting #2 (July 2014!)
CD, BF, BW, Waldorf, minimalist.
juliabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:28 AM   #8
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't do any exercise, but I was good about water all week. I dunno...I'm super interested to see the results too. And also to see what my blood pressure looks like at my next appointment. I have had serious stress at work lately, so I'd actually more expect it to be high. But, I am definitely re-thinking working right up until the end with this pregnancy.
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote