Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
momx2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
TMI HELP!!

Okay..for the past few days, my 4 yo has been complaining that she itches in her "you know where."

Now.....um...sorry, but I just dont' feel comfortable taking a look at her to see what might be wrong. (I supervise her bathing, but don't bathe her anymore.)

anyways, can I give her something to wash with? or should I just be taking her to the dr.? I don't want to embarrass her as she already doens't like to tell me that she itches. She just keeps scratching herself! ... which is worse cause she's doing it in public!

Advertisement

momx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:07 PM   #2
keikiko
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: TMI HELP!!

She'll probably be more comfy with you checking her out than the doc. I'd give her some OTC yeast meds before taking her to the doc though. Just my
Old 03-19-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
moparop
Registered Users

What about some yogurt to start? It can get rid of bad bacteria and bring in the good stuff!
Old 03-19-2007, 02:12 PM   #4
jessie_m_d
Registered Users
seller

Feed her yogurt, and give her some of the external itch releif medications, maybe buy her some wipes for wiping with. She may simply not getting clean enough when she wipes. Is there discharge in her panties if you don't want to 'look' elsewhere?
jessie_m_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:20 PM   #5
momx2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She has no discharge in her panties.

I've been letting her use her baby sister's wipes at home...along with some wipe solution to clean herself.

She also eats yogurt about 2x a week. should it be more? ... should i be giving her otc yeast meds or would it even be okay to give her itch medicine made for adults? ...

Is there something more natural that I can give to her? ...

thanks!
momx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
jessie_m_d
Registered Users
seller

I would honestly, try to get her to eat yogurt daily for now. I've heard of using yogurt topically, but I think I would google that one first. Have you switched TP brands, laundry soap..... anything like that that might cause iritation? Let her sleep w/o panties, so the area can air out. (or buy her some boys boxers/ summer shorts if she needs to wear something, I know I can't sleep w/o underwear, lol)
Old 03-20-2007, 07:35 AM   #7
jessie_m_d
Registered Users
seller

I was also thinking - baths w/o bubble bath or anything and even a final 'rinse' after you drain the bath water. I know in the winter both my kids break out with exzema, and we have to used dove sensitive skin soap or plain water.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:47 AM   #8
Mama3xsm
Registered Users
seller

My DD had this problem last year. It was her urethra that was all inflamed, most likley from not wiping well enough. I had to put zinc oxide directly on the opening three times a day for 5 days after letting her sit in a sitz bath for a few minutes. I would think that not wiping well could cause an irritation in more than just the obvious area. I have never heard of a girl that young having a vaginal yeast infection that would require internal medication. Maybe just try some diaper cream on the exterior and if it's not feeling better in a couple of days, contact the doctor. I second the pp who said no bubble baths. IMO, a 4 yr old still needs mommy to look when something is wrong and would feel a lot more comfortable with you vs. with a doctor. Hope you figure something out
Old 03-20-2007, 07:57 AM   #9
Lmakes5
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcriss View Post
She'll probably be more comfy with you checking her out than the doc. I'd give her some OTC yeast meds before taking her to the doc though. Just my
I would NOT give OTC yeast remedies unless she had a confirmed YI. I've read that they can actually set you up to get one if you use them when you don't have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie_m_d View Post
I would honestly, try to get her to eat yogurt daily for now. I've heard of using yogurt topically, but I think I would google that one first.
You can get liquid acidophilus supplements at a health-food store. Just make sure it is refrigerated and then keep in the fridge when you get home.
With the liquid you are able to get more down them w/less fuss.
You can use yogurt topically, but make sure it is unsweetened (NOT sugar free) and no fruit added.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:34 PM   #10
MelissaCoffey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momx2 View Post
She has no discharge in her panties.

I've been letting her use her baby sister's wipes at home...along with some wipe solution to clean herself.

She also eats yogurt about 2x a week. should it be more? ... should i be giving her otc yeast meds or would it even be okay to give her itch medicine made for adults? ...

Is there something more natural that I can give to her? ...

thanks!

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is allowing her to go without underwear. Maybe just overnight. I HATE being nakey down below when I go to sleep but have found this really helps when this problem comes up for me personally.
MelissaCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote