Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #11
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: You cant even parent in NY without CPS being threatened at every turn...

Switch doc's - there is nothing wrong with limiting the number of shots all at once - we started that at 12 months as my son gets high fevers and no one had any issue with it at all with any of the docs we see and they helped us decide which to get/which to delay. I would not do more than 2 anymore, depending on the child and their reactions.

I would call early intervention, not be cause of the threats, but it sounds like you have reasonable concerns and getting the most help early on is in your daughter's best interests. You can also while you are doing that see if your insurance will pay for a private evaluation to get a second opinion and see what is more helpful or if both are, use both services.

Just ignore the threats - anyone who practices via threats is a lousy doc, etc. as they can't explain themselves well or listen to concerns and really help you get the help you need. Ask for a copy of the medical records and don't think twice.

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #12
travelmama24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
Switch doc's - there is nothing wrong with limiting the number of shots all at once - we started that at 12 months as my son gets high fevers and no one had any issue with it at all with any of the docs we see and they helped us decide which to get/which to delay. I would not do more than 2 anymore, depending on the child and their reactions.

Just ignore the threats - anyone who practices via threats is a lousy doc, etc. as they can't explain themselves well or listen to concerns and really help you get the help you need. Ask for a copy of the medical records and don't think twice.
We also started limited DD's shots after her 9 month appt due to bad reactions before that. At her 12 month appt I told the pedi we wanted DD to get no more than 2 shots and she was so nice about it, helping us decide which ones to get and which to postpone.

I agree with no letting a dr bully you into making choices on the spot, especially ones you're not comfortable with. A great dr will work with you, listen to you & help you.
travelmama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #13
amglenn2621
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OMG we delay vac, and there is no such new law. To have doctors telling such lies ought to be criminal! I am outraged for you mama, but I also want to offer

Check out our handmade glass at catscratchglass.etsy.com

Earn Prizes at Swagbucks!
amglenn2621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #14
iggyloo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mama!!

First, I live in NY as well and I am delay/selective vaccinating with my 3 month old. She was born at home and hasn't had a single shot yet. She JUST went to the docs for the first time 2 weeks ago. You can choose NOT to vaccinate at all if you want. You'll just have to deal with it by the time they are school age.

I CANNOT believe a doc would threaten CPS over vaccines. Thats awful. I would definitely NOT be going back to him! I've switched pediatricians 3 times because of differences in opinions. You have to trust and respect the doctor your kids are seeing.

I would definitely check out EI. Also, look for support groups in your area. Meetup.com could possibly have some resources.

Is your DD on medicaid? (Assuming because of DSS mention). Both of my DDs are and we have Blue Choice Option. I am SO happy with the coverage and the doctors available to her. You could also contact the insurance company for some doctor references or resources.

GL mama.
Momma to Lily Grace Ryan 10/22/07 and Avaya Kai 10/30/10 Expecting #3 11/5/2014
iggyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #15
MamaGoth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyloo View Post
mama!!

First, I live in NY as well and I am delay/selective vaccinating with my 3 month old. She was born at home and hasn't had a single shot yet. She JUST went to the docs for the first time 2 weeks ago. You can choose NOT to vaccinate at all if you want. You'll just have to deal with it by the time they are school age.

I CANNOT believe a doc would threaten CPS over vaccines. Thats awful. I would definitely NOT be going back to him! I've switched pediatricians 3 times because of differences in opinions. You have to trust and respect the doctor your kids are seeing.

I would definitely check out EI. Also, look for support groups in your area. Meetup.com could possibly have some resources.

Is your DD on medicaid? (Assuming because of DSS mention). Both of my DDs are and we have Blue Choice Option. I am SO happy with the coverage and the doctors available to her. You could also contact the insurance company for some doctor references or resources.

GL mama.
Can babies get sick from vaccines? My baby just got the pertussis/whooping cough vaccine, (plus 2 others) and then a day later (when it started) , he is coughing his head off and sounds like he has a ton of mucous in his chest. I am so angry! Since today was valentines day, I didnt call and complain but I am tomorrow!!

I bought a humidifier and if hes not a little better or worse im taking him to the hospital tomorrow...
╚══`.. you.. Jonathan (DH) Rebekah (12/08) and Remus (10/10)

Cloth Diapering,Selective Vaccinating,Tandem Nursing,Non Circumsizing.
MamaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:10 PM   #16
iggyloo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaGoth View Post
Can babies get sick from vaccines? My baby just got the pertussis/whooping cough vaccine, (plus 2 others) and then a day later (when it started) , he is coughing his head off and sounds like he has a ton of mucous in his chest. I am so angry! Since today was valentines day, I didnt call and complain but I am tomorrow!!

I bought a humidifier and if hes not a little better or worse im taking him to the hospital tomorrow...
Yes, they can definitely have a reaction from a vaccine.. I'd give it a day or two. Monitor every symptom.
Momma to Lily Grace Ryan 10/22/07 and Avaya Kai 10/30/10 Expecting #3 11/5/2014
iggyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #17
pcjs
Registered Users

My son usually just gets a small fever. They have any sort of reaction - google the vac. They can also just pick something up from the doc's office too. When we reduced the number of vac's the past two times, its been much better.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:31 AM   #18
travelmama24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaGoth View Post
Can babies get sick from vaccines?
I belive they can. Our DD would get fevers that night, which is normal, but then she would be really fussy for a few days following, sometimes she would get cold symptoms too (runny nose, congestion). 3 days after her 9-month appt, DD was diagnosed with a respiratory infection. That's when we decided to cut back to only 2 vax at a time. Once we started doing that, she never had anything but a slight fever a few hours after the vax were given.
travelmama24 is offline   Reply With Quote