Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
rhody
Registered Users
seller

recipe system?

how do you store your recipes? How much time does it take you to keep it organized and add new recipes? I want to spend time cooking, not looking up recipes.

Do you have a menu planning system also? if so, what/how?

I am just getting into cooking (thanks to this forum!!!) and I suddenly have all these recipes. Before, I would just try a recipe here and there, had a couple that were "keepers" but I never cooked regularly anyway. Now, I actually enjoy cooking!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by rhody; 02-13-2011 at 07:06 PM.
rhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
emhammer0506
Registered Users

Re: recipe system?

I have a program called mastercook.. Which I Love -and wish I had it awhile ago.. Because I have SOO many recopies in various formats.. It is a pain to get them formatted for the program.. Nice part is that there is a toolbar that you can use to add new recipes from online...

You can also do menu planning and create your shopping list.. You can also add what is in your pantry, fridge, freezer..
Evelyn - Wife to the best hubby (05/06/05).., Mommy to H (8/4/08) with SPD - sensory seeker and S(12/7/10) with SPD - tactile defensive & possibly sensory seeker! We are a , donated breastmilk , , non-vaxing:, ing, non-circ family!!!
emhammer0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
Ellysmom06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by emhammer0506
I have a program called mastercook.. Which I Love -and wish I had it awhile ago.. Because I have SOO many recopies in various formats.. It is a pain to get them formatted for the program.. Nice part is that there is a toolbar that you can use to add new recipes from online...

You can also do menu planning and create your shopping list.. You can also add what is in your pantry, fridge, freezer..
Where do u get this program? Download it online, buy it?

Come earn free Amazon Gift Cards with me using Swagbucks!

Check out my listings on Ebay
Ellysmom06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
emhammer0506
Registered Users

online..

I would suggest getting the CD version over the download version..

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

From my understanding the downloaded version is not actually from the same company - so, has some issues in it..

I would also suggest joining MastercookDiscussions yahoo group.. Really helpful for troubleshooting any problems...

Oh - you can even create your own 'cookbooks' and print them - to give to people..

I would suggest if you are going to get it - get it before you start collecting THOUSANDS OF recipes!!!.. lol

Then you won't be in the same boat as me.. LOL
Evelyn - Wife to the best hubby (05/06/05).., Mommy to H (8/4/08) with SPD - sensory seeker and S(12/7/10) with SPD - tactile defensive & possibly sensory seeker! We are a , donated breastmilk , , non-vaxing:, ing, non-circ family!!!
emhammer0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
HLCreations
Registered Users
Formerly: diapermamaagain
seller

My Mood:

I'm kinda old school.

I have a 'recipe' box, but I've thought about moving into a picture album formate at some point using 4X6 card inserts.

Anyway, on Wednesdays I sit down with a printed out menu schedule from Organized Home and I go down the list and fill in the blanks with what we want. I save ALL the previous menu planners (because over the last few months we've been trying new recipes and I make notes with who liked it and how the recipe turned out for future reference).

On the back of the menu I jot down notes (what I need to buy and if necessary, the actual recipe) then I hang it on our fridge! When it comes down to cooking and I need the recipe I grab the menu, flip it over and get busy! If the recipe is too intricate on the back I will make a note with where the recipe is. All my 'new' recipes (that I got off of blogs) are not printed out (I'll write them out on cards once I've tested them once or twice) so, I just bring my laptop into the kitchen and look up the site ~ which is easy to do because I wrote it on the back of my menu!

It works for me!
Old 02-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
rylan'smomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have this file folder thing that I got for $1 on clearance at the grocery store! It says "Collected Recipes" on the front. Inside it has about 10 different tabs and dividers. I labelled the tabs: breakfast, chicken, pasta, baked goods, breads, desserts, etc. Anytime I find a recipe in a magazine or something I rip it out and put it in there. The whole this is wrapped in an elastic thing to keep it all together.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:54 AM   #7
rhody
Registered Users
seller

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

I think old school won this one
First, I LOVE organized home Second, I like that I can plan the meals, and grab the index cards when I menu plan, instead of having to go dig around the computer before I go cook. I think I will clip the cards to the menu plan so I am all set. And I can still copy/paste and print them out and glue them onto the index cards (still easier than copying by hand, IMO)
Now I just need to get copy/pasting so I can print!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLCreations View Post
I'm kinda old school.

I have a 'recipe' box, but I've thought about moving into a picture album formate at some point using 4X6 card inserts.

Anyway, on Wednesdays I sit down with a printed out menu schedule from Organized Home and I go down the list and fill in the blanks with what we want. I save ALL the previous menu planners (because over the last few months we've been trying new recipes and I make notes with who liked it and how the recipe turned out for future reference).

On the back of the menu I jot down notes (what I need to buy and if necessary, the actual recipe) then I hang it on our fridge! When it comes down to cooking and I need the recipe I grab the menu, flip it over and get busy! If the recipe is too intricate on the back I will make a note with where the recipe is. All my 'new' recipes (that I got off of blogs) are not printed out (I'll write them out on cards once I've tested them once or twice) so, I just bring my laptop into the kitchen and look up the site ~ which is easy to do because I wrote it on the back of my menu!

It works for me!

Last edited by rhody; 02-15-2011 at 03:55 AM.
rhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
HLCreations
Registered Users
Formerly: diapermamaagain
seller

My Mood:

It works well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhody View Post
Thanks everyone for the ideas.

I think old school won this one
First, I LOVE organized home Second, I like that I can plan the meals, and grab the index cards when I menu plan, instead of having to go dig around the computer before I go cook. I think I will clip the cards to the menu plan so I am all set. And I can still copy/paste and print them out and glue them onto the index cards (still easier than copying by hand, IMO)
Now I just need to get copy/pasting so I can print!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #9
hollyday27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used to use Master Cook and switched over to Living Cookbook software after experiencing endless problems with MC. I ended up losing most of my family recipes because the MC software was so screwed up. I've been using Living Cookbook for several years now and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It is so cool, you can easily put internet recipes in your software, scan, and enter in recipes yourself. There are tons of cookbooks that it comes with, but I never use those recipes. I love that you can favorite the ones you use most frequently, there is a menu planner, and shopping list thing too. I highly recommend Living Cookbook, I can't wait until the go with a MAC version though because I'd love to get an iPad for the kitchen. HTH!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
~always ISO Amazon & iTunes GCs~
hollyday27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
elienai
Registered Users
Formerly: Desert_Rose
seller
seller

I normally use Cook'n to store all me recipes, but since I cook a little different now, I took all the recipes I use on a regular basis and altered them to be used for mega batch cooking. I also plan out our meals 2-4 months in advance. We have 13 dinners that we rotate and a handful of breakfast meals. Lunch is either leftovers or sandwiches with homemade bread. I attached pictures to illustrate what I'm talking about. All my menus, recipes and calendar stuff is in a 1.5 inch 3 ring binder that I keep in the kitchen.

I currently have 1.5 months worth of dinners in the freezer. I accomplished that by implementing Jill Bond's idea of Mega Cooking

ETA: I forgot to add, the reason there are 2 dinners planned for each day is that some of our family members are on a special diet, so I have to plan a separate meal for them.

Last edited by elienai; 09-17-2014 at 09:09 PM.
elienai is offline   Reply With Quote