Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2011, 05:12 AM   #1
crazykerry
Registered Users

Suggestions Please

Hello all,

I was wondering if someone could provide me with some suggestions regarding a breast pump. I am kinda lost as to which one is the best and easiest to use. My DD is in the NICU and as a result I need to pump for her. I'm just not sure which one to buy. I have been using a handheld manual one since I left the hospital and I hate it. I have another small child under the age of two and the manual one is just not working for us. Price is not an issue, but I don't want to buy the most expensive one, if someone has had great results and would recommend one of the cheaper ones. I am not sure if the most expensive ones are the best kwim? Looking for any suggestions.

Thanks

Advertisement

crazykerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
abaigeal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Suggestions Please

I really like my Medela Pump in style. It's pricey but I used it 3 years ago with DD1 daily for 9 months and am using it now and have been daily for 11 months still holding up well.

Wildtree consultant-feed your family healthier
http://www.mywildtree.com/abbycravillion/
abaigeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:15 AM   #3
johnsbabymama
Registered Users
seller

Yes i agree with previous post, the pump in style is great! I have been using it for altogether with both babies a year now. I also heard the freestlye "hands free" pump by medela is GREAT!!!! so it really depends if you want "hands free" pumping or not. Sometimes i really wish i would have gone with the freestyle, instead of the pump in style, only because of hands free pumping
johnsbabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
bolstamomma
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I 'third' the Pump in Style. Mine is 8 years old and works great! There are these new caps that fit the pump bottles that you can turn to show you what day of the week the milk is from ~ for short term storage.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
feelinfroggie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'll 4th the Medela Pump In Style Advanced. I LOVE mine! I pumped for 11 mos with DD2 and am pumping again now with DS. I also let me SIL borrow it and she pumped for her DD for a year. This thing is a work horse! And SOOO worth the money.

I made a hands free pumping bra by cutting two small holes in an old sports bra(just big enough for the horns of the pump to fit through). Works great!

I found my PISA, still sealed in the original box, on ebay for $100 cheaper than in the store.

Good luck mama!

Last edited by feelinfroggie; 02-14-2011 at 09:56 AM.
feelinfroggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

Honestly, for a NICU baby, I would rent a hospital grade pump for now and then once your baby comes home worry about what kind of pump to purchase later. I have the Ameda Purely Yours and have been happy with it. Also, check out Hygeia. They weren't around when I had my first (that I know of), but they are another good option available today. I have heard mixed reviews of Medela - some people love them, but some really don't. They have the biggest name though, and maybe the easiest to find replacement parts and accessories to match. I wouldn't go with any of the other brands, like Avent or whatever.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
tamarag
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEVmommy View Post
Honestly, for a NICU baby, I would rent a hospital grade pump for now and then once your baby comes home worry about what kind of pump to purchase later. I have the Ameda Purely Yours and have been happy with it. Also, check out Hygeia. They weren't around when I had my first (that I know of), but they are another good option available today. I have heard mixed reviews of Medela - some people love them, but some really don't. They have the biggest name though, and maybe the easiest to find replacement parts and accessories to match. I wouldn't go with any of the other brands, like Avent or whatever.
My thoughts exactly. The medela Symphony is the best one for that. it is a hospital grade pump! Good luck mama!
Old 02-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
Selene
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used an Ameda Purely Yours while DS was in the NICU and it worked great for me. He was a 32 week preemie and I was able to give him EBM exculsively after the first 2 days. I've used the PISA and the Avent Electric Duo too and of the 3 i think the PY is the easiest to clean and very comfortable to pump with since you can adjust the suction and speed independently (which you can't do with a PISA). The PY is cheaper than a PISA too. The only thing is mine died after 6months of heavy use but they are covered by the warrenty for a year.
Forget the manual pump, either rent a hospital grade one or buy a double electric, mama! Pumping for a preemie is a lot of work! GL!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
Little Miss Kate
Registered Users
Formerly: JAMs Wife
seller

I used a Pump in Style Advanced for my NICU baby - pumped on a symphony at the hospital and then the PISA at home worked out great for us.

Good Luck on the NICU roller coaster ride, you will make it to the other side

My BLOG - Check out the Giveaways going on now!!!
Little Miss Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #10
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree that either a Medela PISA or Symphony is what you need. I would also recommend a hands free pump bra, so you can use your hands (and even chase your LO if you use the battery pack and wear the backpack) while pumping.