Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

what do you do? question on pumping, supply and nursing a newborn...

Laney is 5 days old. She latches wonderfully. I have a
VERY VERY low supply and always have (IGT). Thankfully with this baby i have more milk than ever before (I was on a herbal regimine while pregnant to increase glandular tissue - this is the first pregnancy i have ever had breast change with (one side went up like 1/2 cup..the other nothing). With my last 2 pregnancies, I never had more than like 4oz of milk per DAY. And that was while taking every herb under then sun (not really, lol, but fenugreek seed, fennel, alfalfa, RRL, thistle, goats rue, etc..) nursing on demand and pumping. I know the output because I always weighed before and after and sometimes their weights didnt change at all...usually they would change by 1/10th of an ounce to 1/4 of an ouce after nursing for 40 minutes (20 on each side).

So anyways, on to my questions.

I know I have milk this round. I can feel a slight difference in the firmness of my breasts, and I have actually heard laney swallow (never heard that before - yay!). The problem is - she will latch on, nurse for about 4-5 minutes then pop off and scream. I know she is hungry. She is getting frustrated with either the flow or the amount. I know that she needs to nurse more to increase my supply, but if she isnt getting anything - she isnt interested. She wants nothing to do with nursing once the milk is gone. I have been pumping with a PIS (15 minutes of dual pumping), but dont get anything...well actually this am I got more than I ever have before - I got about 1.5 tablespoons when I combined my output from both boobs! usually i get a few drops.

How can I increase my pumping out put? I have tried warm compresses, hot showers, massage, visualization, etc... Nothing seems to help any. I also cant express anything manually. I get maybe 1-2 drops per side manually.

Any tips on getting Laney to comfort nurse to hopefully help increase my supply?

Advertisement

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
triton77
Registered Users
seller

Re: what do you do? question on pumping, supply and nursing a newborn...

Congrats on the new baby. Have you considered a SNS or Lactaid?? That way you can supplement at the breast and keep her nursing longer. I have twins and have low supply also, so I use two SNS's one for each baby. What I do is let them bare nurse til they start to get restless then I turn on the SNS and it quiets them down and they finish eating.
As for pumping I pump after every feeding 5xs per day sometimes I get 2oz other times I get nothing. I've found that if I drink tons of water and can relax during pumping that I get more milk.
I take Domperidone, Fenugreek, Alfalfa, blessed thistle, and Shativari. Have you considered adding Domperidone? I know some don't like it but it really works.
HTH,
Janelle
triton77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton77 View Post
Congrats on the new baby. Have you considered a SNS or Lactaid?? That way you can supplement at the breast and keep her nursing longer. I have twins and have low supply also, so I use two SNS's one for each baby. What I do is let them bare nurse til they start to get restless then I turn on the SNS and it quiets them down and they finish eating.
I think that's a very good suggestion.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton77 View Post
As for pumping I pump after every feeding 5xs per day sometimes I get 2oz other times I get nothing. I've found that if I drink tons of water and can relax during pumping that I get more milk.
I take Domperidone, Fenugreek, Alfalfa, blessed thistle, and Shativari. Have you considered adding Domperidone? I know some don't like it but it really works.
HTH,
Janelle
I have a sns, but havent gotten the hang of it yet. I have only been using it for a day though, so it should get better.

Dom is prohibitively expensive for us, unfortauntely. I can do 100% formula for less than a months supply of dom.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
triton77
Registered Users
seller

The SNS definitely has a learning curve for me it's a steep one there are some days where i want to throw it out the window.
I understand the dom being expensive it definitely isn't cheap. Have you tried Shatavari? Some people have just about the same results with that as they do dom. You do have to cycle it though and for some it actually causes a decrease in production so you have to watch your output.
Good luck! The SNS will get easier with practice

Janelle
triton77 is offline   Reply With Quote