Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:
What could this be? (toddler illness)

DS is 27 months. Woke up at 4 am crying and crying, I could not get him to calm down and had no idea what was wrong. Finally he said his belly hurt. Continued to cry inconsolably for the next few hours! Finally fell asleep upright on DH's chest. If we try to lay him down, he wakes and cries again. He only has two modes - crying and sleeping. He has to be upright to sleep, if you lay him down, even laying right next to him, he cries. He's running a slight fever, and threw up a little after a coughing fit from crying so hard, nothing major. He's asleep now, his knees on the floor and laying over the edge of his mattress which is on the floor. I have never seen him like this. He is not one to complain and cry much when sick! I know he is in PAIN, but IDK what it is. What would cause his belly to hurt like that? He ate a bunch of dried bananas last night and I was worried he might get a bellyache but that wouldn't cause a fever! Can a two year old get appendicitis? We moved to a new area and don't have a family physician here, but there is an instacare nearby if I had to take him in. We really rarely need doctors and usually treat everything at home with rest, fluids, and time but this one has me stumped. He is just coming off a bout of croup, and before that he had a stomach bug that lasted several days. This is a kid who really never gets sick so I am worried that he is coming down with so much so fast too.

Advertisement

And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:
Re: What could this be? (toddler illness)

He just woke up from his long nap (stayed on his knees the whole time!) and seems much better. Still warm, but wants water and to watch Dinosaur Train and isn't crying anymore! Yay! Maybe we'll survive the day after all.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
lemurkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

could he have an ear infection? my kiddos have had a couple and can't lay down with them.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

I just asked him and he says his ears don't hurt, so I don't think that is it. He still says its his belly. I made him a smoothie and he's drinking that and I got some tylenol in him.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Is it low belly? If it is, i'd consider both constipation and UTI. Fiber and fluids, maybe cranberry juice if you can get it in him and see if that helps him improve.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote