Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
UpCycled Fitteds?

Before ds was born I was planning on using prefolds and covers since they are most economical, but I soon found out they were too big for him & ended up using them more as burp clothes. But now he is bigger, but too squirmy to fold and use snappi to get them on, so I decided to turn them into fitteds. I have successfully turned them into pocketed fitteds- I like to call them pocket prefitteds! I used a flannel receiving blanket to form the pocket. Anyway, I am wondering if people would be interested in buying up-cycled fitteds, complete with hook and look for attaching and elastic in back and around legs?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PreciousPre-fitted1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	62684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Precious Pre-fitted3.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	62685   Click image for larger version

Name:	PreciousPre-fitted4.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	62686  

Advertisement

SamanthaSews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:
Re: UpCycled Fitteds?

I'm going to be brutally honestly since I once was making diapers. I used to use bamboo fabric and was selling alot since that's what alot of people like but I had to stop because I wasn't profiting anything because material was SO expensive and there are so many people that make diapers I had to be priced well too. So I started making diapers out of flannel and didn't have much interest at all If you sold these I'm just scared you wouldn't profit enough to be worth your time, kwim? I really hate saying that since I personally love cotton and flannel
Old 02-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
Thanks for your input, I plan on making some to use with my ds, just wondering if anyone else would be interested before I take the time to make more than I need. Otherwise I might sell or trade some of my prefolds since I won't b using them.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I would make some and offer as testers or trades first. The thing I don't like about flannel is that it gets so worn looking after even just a few washes. It might be superficial but I like my kids diapers to look nice, not too raggedy.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #5
luvinmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Question.. So the flannel only goes on the outside? or is it next to baby's skin? What about using a different type of cotton fabric that wont fade and look worn out quickly... I have noticed a lot of the covers have a cotton print on the outside, Almost like a quilters fabric... That would wash well wouldn't it? Not sure if this helps at all... but good luck
luvinmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
NaptownBoys
Registered Users
Formerly: niktorious
seller
seller

My Mood:

I searched for prefitteds for a while and had trouble finding them and ended up getting the gmd's workhorse but would have preferred tinkle traps (they were always sold out) or something wahm.
you never know, people could love them! I agree with the pp I would def try out testers and see if you have a market
NaptownBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
The flannel is on the outside, because I think it is cute, but it could just as easily go on the inside.

Do you think fleece on the outside or inside would be more desirable?
Old 03-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
Also do you think there is a market for fitters made from recycled t-shirts? I have some cool t-shirts of sports teams & pop culture that I am going to make into fitteds for my son- I think they are cute in a funky way!
Old 03-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
motherculture
Registered Users
seller

You will end up spending time that pays very little. I think there is a market for up cycling prefolds into easier fitteds but sewing diapers is time consuming and there is a huge amount of sewers making quality fitteds for a good price.
I would suggest a snap press instead of velcro. It is wonderful that you are sewing for your baby and practicing. You could offer prefold conversions and see who needs your service. Just count your time!
motherculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:58 AM   #10
Cassyjo
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't put the flannel inside. Prefolds are soft and I made a ritas rump with flannel on the inside that got pilly and one night (it was hot and I think my son rolls around a lot at night) the flannel rubbed a spot on this penis raw and he h as a sore. Poor little guy was not happy about that. Thats my 2 cents.
Cassyjo is offline   Reply With Quote