Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sick and dehydrated, having problems getting my milk back.

I was incredibly sick over the weekend and had a hard time holding anything, including water down. I was still letting LO suckle, but also supplementing with my freezer stash because she didn't seem satisfied.

I feel better and I've been able to drink and eat a bit for three days, but my production still seems lean. I need to be able to pump in the next day or two because I work over the weekends. Any ideas on getting going again? Anyone had this happen before and could share some insight on how long the dip in supply might last?

Advertisement

MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
badhayrday
Life is Good
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sick and dehydrated, having problems getting my milk back.

I have had this problem mama and my best advice is nurse nurse nurse. Lay around as much as possible today and nurse as much as our LO will. When she's napping pump. I had great results within about 24-48 hours. I tried all sorts of supplements and everything else you read about but it didn't help. Then the lactation consultant told me "relax, lay around all day and just nurse and snuggle with your baby". Best advice ever. Good luck mama.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
sizzlemom
Registered Users
seller

I have had a similar situation and I am going on about 3 weeks of less supply. I started taking a fenugreek supplement and just making my LO nurse as much as possible and I am starting to get close to a normal pump. Good luck!
sizzlemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
TaraR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I found myself dehydrated 3 different times while I was sick these last 8 months and I had the same issue. I drank as much as I could and supplimented. You have to have the fluid intake and nutrients to get your milk back up first. When ever I started to lose weight my supply went down as well. I bet since you haven't been able to keep anything down your body is pulling from your fat stores and that can drop your supply as well. Drink/eat what ever you can that has water in it and do it all day long. Rest and nurse all your lo wants. I hope you feel better soon

Eat, drink, rest and nurse
Old 02-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
notinoz
Registered Users
seller

I had the stomach flu 3 weeks ago and am still not pumping what I did pre-flu. I was freezing 24-30 ounces a day and am now down to 12 ounces a day in the freezer so I am not worried.
notinoz is offline   Reply With Quote