Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
sweetpeamami83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
asthma and pregnancy

I have always had asthma and I go through spurts where I need my inhaler more then others. For about the past year I was using advair. Now that I am pregnant I read it is not recommended in pregnancy. When I had my appointment today they wrote it down on my chart and I totally forgot to ask if it is ok or if there is something better. I have stopped using the advair all together since I had found out I was pregnant and am using my ventolin maybe twice a day. I am not sure which is better or if anyone has experience with either during pregnancy.

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
cutebluebaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: asthma and pregnancy

When I was pregnant with DS1 the midwife was very adament about me using the inhaler when I needed it because "if I couldn't breathe, then the baby wasn't getting the oxygen it needed either." It's stuck with me since.

I use albuterol and intal as needed, and had just a few issues when I was pregnant with DS1, and no issues at all with DS2. If you're that concerned, just take it easy and try to avoid things that you know trigger it as best as you can. A food preservative triggered mine a few times with DS1, so I know it can be hard to completely avoid them.

Fabrics : Fitteds : Inserts : Boy Clothes : Girl Clothes
cutebluebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't use advair, I use albuterol though, I think ProAir is the brand now? (Same as ventolin though). In neither pregnancy did they have an issue with the albuterol, oxygen is too important. My midwife gave me the rough statistic that approx. 1/3 of pregnant women notice improvement in asthma, 1/3 stay the same, 1/3 get worse. With DS my asthma seemed better, this time around it's been a bit worse. (More easily triggered but still comes under control OK with the inhaler). It will be up to your doc of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just monitor you for a while to see how your asthma will be.
Like my Facebook! Etsy
Scaethach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
sweetpeamami83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks. i left a message for the nurse this morning hopefully they get back to me. it just seems to flare up at night. we also are remodeling a bathroom due to pipes that burst when it got real cold so i think all the dust and stuff is bothering me.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
alsatia23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've used Advair with all three of my pregnancies and haven't had any issues arise (yet). I've also used Singulair. I cannot breathe without the medications, so I have little choice.