Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
Lousli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Prodromal labor

So I'm 36 weeks 1 day, and have had my other 2 at 36 weeks and 33 weeks, both after PROM. I was taking progesterone shots and had my last one on Sunday. Last night I had some intense, wake up from a dead sleep contractions that lasted about 2 hours and were 6 min apart. I had something still going on while I slept, because I had dreams about bloody show (didn't happen though, just in my dream.)

Today I've had more low back pain and pelvic pain than normal, some loose stools, not much appetite, and some menstrual type cramping, but not many contractions. I've felt kind of off all day. I talked with a good friend who told me she had prodromal labor like this for two weeks before her daughter was born. Does it usually last that long?

I feel like I'm in a tough spot. I don't want this baby to be born this week. Ideally I'd like to make it at least 2 more weeks and finally have a big, healthy, full term baby. But I don't want to deal with 2 more weeks of pain and contractions. If I were 38 weeks and this were happening, I'd nudge it along, but as it is, I'm hoping to stop it. Is there anything I can do? I'm resting and hydrating.

Advertisement

Lousli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

Re: Prodromal labor

Sounds like you're really doing all you can....

Prodromal labor doesn't usually last that long. Mine was a month, and that's VERY unsual. It started at 34.5 and I was prepared for a premie... nope! Full term at 38.5. I started to try to 'nudge' things at 37, since I was going nuts.

Sleep whenever you can. I found that after a month of prodromal labor, I was exhausted going into childbirth... very tough!

GL!!

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had prodromal labor for almost 2 weeks before I gave birth to my last baby. I even posted about it in my due date forum. I was miserable, having constant loose bowels, contractions, cramps and just feeling "off." My babies before her were born at 33 weeks, 36.4 weeks and 38.6 weeks....she came at 37.4 weeks. My OB told me I could take some Benadryl to help me sleep if I needed to rest. Just keep an eye on it and watch how closely the contractions come. I know that after 36 weeks, they won't stop your labor here...not sure what its like where you are.
Expecting our Rainbow EDD 11/19/15 IT'S A GIRL!!!
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
Lousli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

They told me they wouldn't stop me after 34 weeks, but I would like to go a little longer than 36. I just hope that I don't have 2-3 weeks of this. If I had my choice, it would just stop so I could get some rest!
Lousli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:45 AM   #5
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mine lasted for weeks. It was awful. I went to L&D a few times, but the ctx were doing nothing. I wound up having him at 37.5 weeks. I get better sleep now with my newborn than I did in the last month of pregnancy.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:07 AM   #6
hadfield531
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had it starting at 36 weeks with my last baby, and I delivered her at 38 weeks...all the same symptoms you described!
Old 02-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #7
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would look into magnesium sulfate. I haven't googled it yet, but I usually start the contractions 2 weeks before I deliver. And I'm only 30 weeks and have already started them. Some mama's suggested I use magnesium sulfate, it's supposed to be a homeopathic remedy to calm the uterus. I would do some research on it. If mine don't stop or calm down in the next week, I'll be looking into taking it until I'm atleast 35/36 weeks. I'm already on bedrest and still can't get them to stop, but mine are very infrequent, and I can sleep through them. So nothing serious yet.

Good Luck Mama!!
Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
court3189
Registered Users
seller

Welcome to my world - I have issues with an irritable uterus. This time I started contracting around 24 weeks. Regular, consistent contractions that will go for hours, but don't progress my cervix. I finally adapted to that-then starting about 10 days or so ago (35 weeks-ish) I think I've moved to what would fall under prodromal labor. It seems cyclical-I have a day or two of relative quiet.. then the contractions/mucus plug bit starts up...Monday I would have swore I was in labor, losing mp all day, nauseous, most intense contractions I've had yet...but then they just slowly-slowed. Now today they're starting again. What's hard for me is I work full-time and it's a challenge to have contractions like this and go about as if nothing is going on.....

Court

Mom to Mason (3/2003) and Maddie (11/2007) and Morgan (3/2011)
court3189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:24 AM   #9
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you have contractions you should drink a whole glass of water and lay on your side (I'm having a brain toot and can't remember if it's the left or right side).

I had prodominal labor for 8 days leading up to my ds2's birth. He was born at 39 weeks and 3 days.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I had PL for about 2 full weeks before DS was born. It was miserable. It might have even been 3 weeks, but I honestly don't remember, I've supressed the memory.

I even had a day and a half of regular, full-on, hard contrax, which got me to a 4, but then, they stopped. It was another week before DS decided to show up. I had PL so long that I refused to believe I was actually in labor when it finally came. I was so fed up with always thinking, "Maybe this is it!" that I just refused to believe it.

There's nothing much you can do to stop it. Just rest and stay hydrated as best you can.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote