View Poll Results: Donating breast milk
I have donated milk 19 50.00%
I have received donated milk 2 5.26%
I have recieved and donated milk 4 10.53%
I havent heard of donating milk 0 0%
I havent donated any but its a good idea 13 34.21%
Its gross 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #11
laura_mae99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Donating milk

dont get me wrong honey... banks are good as well! Cus in the NICU for sick, and early babys... There are NICU across teh us that are only Breastmilk NICU and your milk might have went to one of them :-) they are using donor milk more and more in the NICU because of what it gives babies and most NICU will only allow milk bank donor milk in there NICU. It changing allot but its great u even did that... :-) i was going to donate to a milk bank and was even screened then i found out about milkshare and stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&A'smommy View Post
I donated to a milk bank since I couldn't find anyone on milkshare. I had to do bloodwork and get my DR and the baby's ped to fill out some forms before I could donate.

Advertisement

Old 02-17-2011, 07:30 AM   #12
Ardenne
Registered Users
seller

I donated for several months to a local mama I met through my midwife. She posted a comment to Facebook about what angels mamas who donate are, and we started chatting and I found out her daughter, just 2 months younger than mine, was needing donated milk. Their only donor at the time lived several hours away, so it was expensive for the family to get it, and she wasn't able to provide enough to meet their needs. I had a lot of extra frozen and my DD preferred hers "from the tap," as DH likes to call it so I took her all of the extra, then pumped 2x daily and stashed for several more months, taking her regular deliveries. Since it was all informal friend-to-friend, we didn't have to mess with any bloodwork, paperwork, etc -- she was comfortable with our midwife's recommendation, since the midwife was familiar with my health status, and just asked a few questions about my diet because of certain foods her family has sensitivities to.

Her daughter thrived on the donated milk and we all became quite good friends. We still do playdates when we can find the time. I'm very, very glad I did it, and I'd not hesitate to donate again to her or to someone else.
Ardenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #13
jaykay11
Registered Users
seller

Last edited by jaykay11; 01-02-2013 at 10:59 PM.
jaykay11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:39 PM   #14
smokeyswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I receive donated milk for my little one. Without the generous mama's that I have met through milkshare and eats on feets, my little man would not be doing as well as he is! He is 6 months...18+pounds and very healthy! A big thank you to ALL donating mama's!
smokeyswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #15
melliepie
Registered Users

For me donating my milk was a very pleasant,rewarding experience. I even made a great friend
Old 02-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #16
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

I never pumped for DD so I have never donated but I think it's awesome! Next child I will pump a little more often because I would love to donate.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #17
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I have rec donated milk and donated I didnt donate a ton but every drop counted
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote