Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How do I know I have enough milk?

I had supply issues with my first. I wasn't able to nurse past 6 months. I went back to work when she was 2 mo old and never pumped much.

So I'm a little worried this time around. So far *I think* DS (11 days old) is nursing well. He pees a lot and poops 3-4 times a day.

He does sometimes eat on one side, then he kind of bobs around with my nipple in his mouth. He doesn't close his mouth and he starts to get frustrated. It's weird because he was just nursing fine.

Also, I don't leak at all. Do some ppl just not leak?

One more question: sometimes at night, he wakes and eats on one side and falls asleep. I can't get him up. SHould I be pumping on the other side to keep my supply up?

Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do I know I have enough milk?

I can understand the worry if you had problems in the past. At 11 days, he's still settling into a pattern. It sounds like plenty of wet and soiled diapers so thats a great sign. Is his weight OK? He should be back to birth weight or better by 2 weeks of age. Is he full term? Just nurse him on demand and he should be getting plenty.

He may be filling up on one breast at some feedings. Just offer the other breast first at the next feeding, same for those one sided night-time feedings. You don't *have* to pump, but go ahead if you feel overfull.

Yes, some people just don't leak. Consider yourself lucky. I didn't at all with my first, and only at night with my twins if the second baby didn't get on fast enough. I don't know what happened with this one because I had to wear nursing pads for months

As far as pumping with the last one...do you mean you didn't pump much as in frequency or volume? If your body doesn't respond well to the pump, (I don't) it could be a case of poor fitting flanges. Make sure they are the right size for your nipple size and it could increase your volume significantly. Good luck mama!
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
Chickymom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I never leaked either. I've nursed 2 kids and am not an expert, but if the pees and poops are plentiful and he's not losing weight, your baby is most likely getting what he should. Breastfeeding is a mental thing too, so don't psych yourself out, because you body may follow suit. As for the night feeding, I wouldn't feel the need to pump if I were you. They are eating so frequently at this stage that I'd just remember to start him on the other side first at the next feeding. My DD only wanted one breast a feeding, so if you DS is nursing fine on one but not so much on the second, he may be full. Hope this helps!

BFeeding, CD'ing, no circumcising, PPAnxiety ridden, baby food makin' crazy person.
Chickymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks! he was full term, 39 weeks and 9 lbs.

I dont feel over full at night, I was just worried about not emptying both breasts every few hours.
I was never able to pump alot of milk. I got maybe 6 oz total in 2 pumping sessions.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
mama0609
Banned
seller

6 oz in 2 sessions is a lot mama! that's normal!

the normal pumping output is 1-2 oz COMBINED! You surpassed that!

It sounds like things are going well!!! great job mama!!!
mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have heard some women don't leak, especially with subsequent babies.

I only ever nursed DD on one side per feeding--it just seemed to work best for us. I don't think you need to pump the other side to maintain a supply. You do need to make sure he's nursing at least 8 to 12 times per day at his age, though. Later, I think the number of feedings/pumpings required to give your body the message to maintain a supply is 7 in 24 hours (according to Dr. Jack Newman).

Lots of women don't pump well--I am one of them. Normal pumping output is something like .5 to 2 oz per pumping session, total--so from both breasts. Women who get 8 oz or something are really fortunate, but rare. Here's what Kellymom says:

Quote:
Most moms who are nursing full-time are able to pump around 1/2 to 2 ounces total (for both breasts) per pumping session. Moms who pump more milk per session may have an oversupply of milk, or may respond better than average to the pump, or may have been able to increase pump output with practice. Many moms think that they should be able to pump 4-8 ounces per pumping session, but even 4 ounces is an unusually large pumping output.

It is quite normal to need to pump 2-3 times to get enough milk for one feeding for baby (remember that the pump cannot get as much milk as a baby who nurses effectively).
Old 02-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone!
I haven't given him formula since posting this. It's been going good. He still does this thing where he bobs his mouth around my nipple and gets mad.

I also have Milkmaid tea. I started drinking it one day postpartum. IDK if it's helping. I know after I drink it, I am fuller but the effects are just for that one feeding. Is that how it's supposed to work?
Old 02-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

My 3 week old does the bobbing head thing, usually when he needs to burp. Take him off, burp him and he latches back on just fine.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

dp

Last edited by Leah52; 02-17-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Leah52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #10
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah52 View Post
My 3 week old does the bobbing head thing, usually when he needs to burp. Take him off, burp him and he latches back on just fine.
I will try that. thanks