Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #11
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Beret with a brim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama4Ways View Post
Sorry to hear about your friend, but LOVE the hat. I am NOT showing my 18yo ds the pics, however. Not only does he knit (and well...) and will demand wool right now to make himself one, but he will use it to argue his getting dreads instead of keeping his hair in braids. I told him when he has a steady and solid job (and doesnt need to go on any more interviews in our less than diverse area... *ahem*) he can think about dreads... LOL Hes wanted them since he was about 12....
You should totally let him get dreads. He could pick up soooo many ladies. The hat is actually acrylic. I figured I wouldn't add to all that she has going on by giving her a hand wash only item.

Advertisement

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #12
Mama4Ways
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
You should totally let him get dreads. He could pick up soooo many ladies. The hat is actually acrylic. I figured I wouldn't add to all that she has going on by giving her a hand wash only item.
His long soft cornrows do enough of that already. Thankyouverymuch. Im more worried about him getting a JOB as there is the immediate profile hurdle he needs to overcome. I mean, come on... McDonalds here didnt hire him. I't sad.

Great idea on the acrylic... but my son is a S.N.O.B. and it wouldnt do for him.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #13
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama4Ways View Post
His long soft cornrows do enough of that already. Thankyouverymuch. Im more worried about him getting a JOB as there is the immediate profile hurdle he needs to overcome. I mean, come on... McDonalds here didnt hire him. I't sad.

Great idea on the acrylic... but my son is a S.N.O.B. and it wouldnt do for him.
Yeah, the job is kinda important. And unless his hair is super long already (Mine was about 7 inches and turned into 2 inch dreads), it would be best to wait. I'm a yarn snob for myself... but for others I'll skimp and go with acrylic. lol

Old 02-17-2011, 07:08 AM   #14
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Wow, I really love that hat. The colors and the style just really work. I think you need to make yourself one now. It looks made for you.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:21 AM   #15
Mama4Ways
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
Yeah, the job is kinda important. And unless his hair is super long already (Mine was about 7 inches and turned into 2 inch dreads), it would be best to wait. I'm a yarn snob for myself... but for others I'll skimp and go with acrylic. lol
LOL No, no. It's long. He's had one haircut his entire life--when he was 8 and we could NOT get rid of the lice to save our lives. (Don't judge me! LOL) His hair is impossibly nice, with several ethnic blends to give it incredible thickness, shine, strength, curl and speedy growth. (Yeah, I hate him LOL) and right now, its just past the bottom of his ribs when cornrowed straight back and down. He gets it trimmed regularly, but he'd have some awesome dreads. (shhhhhh.....)

Unfortunately, he's already super profiled--tall, non-white, broad shouldered giant and it's hard for him to "get in the door" as is, let alone adding a "radical" hairstyle in the fluffy white cloud area we live, yanno?

I find it really interesting that people buy acrylic knitted items from me a lot quicker than wool--but I am mostly in B&M boutiques, and they can "feel" the end product and like the reasonable price and ease of care to aid their decision. I've had folks tell me that they really only prefer wool for diapering stuff and jackets, and "good" acrylic is preferred for everything else, cuz you can wash and wear and throw it on and it looks fab time after time. I guess I get that (my fave dress for my YDD is acrylic) but generally its all wool here.

But yeah, for non-woolyiers, its a kindness to give acrylic as sometimes foks are afraid to wear or care for wool.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:57 AM   #16
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
There's actually done really nice acrylics out there. I made my daughter a Sleuthing Hoodie with acrylic and I'm so happy now that I didn't use wool. I just their it in the washing machine and it looks great. But, she is too big for it now. Time for a new one.

I'm jealous of your sons hair! It sound really cool. I'm sure it will be fun transforming those into dreads.